RWD Ep91

Meston

Member +
Has anyone converted their Starlet to rear wheel drive? My mates recently converted his lleyland mini to rwd and it got me thinking.

Brendanlez

Member +
It would save alot of work doing it with the EP95, the tunnel will be there already for the prop shaft, could probably still be done but what gearbox would ya use?

Brendanlez

Member +
yea i know bout that but remember the transfer box on a starlet is alot lighter than on a subaru, you would be better to shift your engine mounts and rotate the engine 90 deg imo

riko666

Member +
It's been done previously in Cyprus as well (I think EP95 based), and again in Japan (who Enzo is using as motivation).

EP95 would be an easier starting base as it has the humped sump and fuel tank, as well as the tunnel in the floorpan, but the stock drivetrain I would think is rather inadequaste for use as a standalone RWD platform, but you're limited with gearboxes due to the transverse mounting of the engine - the Subarus are longitudinally mounted so are much easier to adapt to existing RWD gearboxes. Longitudinally mounted EP's have been done before, but its an awful lot of work!