safcII question

rage

Lifer
hi all,

Yesterday i fitted a wideband sensor and SAFCII and i'm trying to set it up.

while cruising i managed to get it spot on on 14.7

on full throttle i got it around 10.8 till i reach 5k/5.5k revs, then it starts to run a little bit more lean, up to 12.0 when i hit 6500/7000 revs.

i can't seem to get it down to around 11, why is this?

i'm running stock ct9, wepr mani, 2,5" decat/catback, relocated air filter, sard RRFPR (3.2 bar) and hks actuator set on 1 bar. stock ecu with fcd, safcII and wideband.

i'm thinking about the stock injectors? can they handle this setup? or are they maxed out?

kieran.s gt

Member +
still stock fuel pump. that might be the problem?

could be the problem it'd be worth while getting an uprated one anyway
theres nothing else that should be leaning it out at those revs unless some setting on the safc is wrong

rage

Lifer
as far as i can tell it is set up correctly.

4 cyl. arrow up for throttle. 40 low throttle, 41 high throttle, pressure sensor type.

any info on how to set it up specificly for the GTT would be apreciated (rep will be given for good info)

and i'll look around for an uprated fuel pump (walbro i presume?)

kieran.s gt

Member +
as far as i can tell it is set up correctly.

4 cyl. arrow up for throttle. 40 low throttle, 41 high throttle, pressure sensor type.

any info on how to set it up specificly for the GTT would be apreciated (rep will be given for good info)

and i'll look around for an uprated fuel pump (walbro i presume?)

im not familiar with the safc settings you'll have to wait for someone else there
walbro or nick@ tuning developments has uprated ones

hardcoreep

Member +
The super AFC will not control stock injectors properly. You need to either add larger injectors outside of the operational range of the ECU, or increase fueling significantly over stock.

The other problem you have is your FCD. Its competing with the same signal that the SAFC modifies. They both change MAP sensor data therefore they may be cancelling each other out.

RGM1800

Member +
The super AFC will not control stock injectors properly. You need to either add larger injectors outside of the operational range of the ECU, or increase fueling significantly over stock.

The other problem you have is your FCD. Its competing with the same signal that the SAFC modifies. They both change MAP sensor data therefore they may be cancelling each other out.

how bout adding a supra fuel pump?

hardcoreep

Member +
If you add a larger fuel pump or RRFPR then the car will simply trim injector duty cycle until it reaches the preset AFR over time.

rage

Lifer
thx for the info :)

i'll do a nosy around for fuelpump and injectors

what afr should i be aiming for at a 1 bar setup at full throttle? 10.5 of 11.5?

hardcoreep

Member +
I generally run 12 or 12.5. That's where the most power gets made. The other thing you need to be careful of is the ECU ignoring the SAFC settings, which it does sometimes.

rage

Lifer
wow, that would mean my car is running WAY too rich atm :p

sofar the safc works as supposed to but i will keep an eye on it.

trimming the fuel down so if the ecu wants to ignore the safc or if it fails somehow the car will return to a rich setting (minimizing the risk)

rage

Lifer
trimmed it to around 12 and she runs a lot better! thx for that.

only thing that worries me is my EGT, it spikes to 900/950 @ 7k revs.
and with stock internals i doubt that the ringlands will like that for very long?
what would the max egt be with stock internals?

measuring the egt in the exhaust mani just before the turbo.

increasing fuel @ high rpm will make my egt drop a bit right?
but i think my stock injectors are maxed out as i get around 6k revs. so i will get some 330 injectors and i allready ordered the walbro fuel pump.

hardcoreep

Member +
trimmed it to around 12 and she runs a lot better! thx for that.

only thing that worries me is my EGT, it spikes to 900/950 @ 7k revs.
and with stock internals i doubt that the ringlands will like that for very long?
what would the max egt be with stock internals?

measuring the egt in the exhaust mani just before the turbo.

increasing fuel @ high rpm will make my egt drop a bit right?
but i think my stock injectors are maxed out as i get around 6k revs. so i will get some 330 injectors and i allready ordered the walbro fuel pump.

Check your ignition timing. Make sure the car is set to base 10 degrees. I think most importantly i see no mention of an upgraded intercooler, top mount or otherwise. That's probably why your egts are up. The intercooler isn't cooling the intake charge enough so you're basically pumping hot air into the engine. Running 15psi on the top mount isn't too efficient.

Last edited:

rage

Lifer
sounds logical indeed :) the list of parts grows and grows :p

will look into an uprated intercooler

thx again!