Safe Boost Level

GT_Ben

Member +
Hows it going people!

Just rebuilt my engine with forged internals running a TD04 and started the running in period. I fired the engine up for the first time on Friday night and took it for about a 40 mile drive, droped the oil and changed the filter and iv done roughly another 100 miles since. Iv been taking it easy loading the engine upto 3k/3.5k rpm and decelerating at junctions and lights.

Anyone else with a forged engine, what sort of rpm's were you taking it to when running it in? And how many miles was your running in period?

The other thing is, iv not bought any management yet as i was still considering my options. Im currently running the standard fpr, injectors and ecu with a uprated fuel pump until iv finished running the engine in, then opting for the emu i think. Whats the max boost levels the standard ecu can cope with on a TD04 without running it lean, was thinking 0.5/0.6 bar? Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Ben

Bullet00th

Member +
I think .5bar sounds about right. Speak to Jones36 at Tuning Developments, he's just recently forced his own engine. He's the man ;)

He also has alot of Emanages on offer ;)

Matt

weakboy2

Member +
i would start to take the revs higher but not particularly loaded up and do a lot of deceleration runs, the vacuum in the cylinders will help to force the new rings out into the bores

starlet666

Member +
i just ran my motor in mate..... 1 bar on a gt28rs turbo......
just dont push it hard all the time and let it bed in right b4 goin crazy with it

profane

Member +
it all depends on the duration of the sustained boost. say you can run 18psi with the right fueling to avoid det, of say, 11.5 afr on the upper band of the rev without any troubles in 1/4 miles without problems for quite some time. taken that oil change is also regular.

for daily on-road gunning, may be not so.

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
I did mine over 1000 miles. kept the boost down during this period (0.3ish bar & 4.5k rpm once i'd cleared 450 miles). then once the oil was fresh at ~1000miles gently upped the boost over the next 100 or so miles

Spoonz

Member +
theres many ways. Theres 1 way which is give it hard for start and then theres take it easy. On a td04 u can run 0.8 and have a rich mixture still.

Darkie

just get crappy oil dont go for mobile one to let the bed in righ
at the beggining and make sure never t leave the oil
too long u must first flush and refill and then swap oils
during intermediates.

GT_Ben

Member +
MikeST205 : Thanks, thats the route im taking with it now.....going steady till 1000miles or so, then going to start feeding the rpm's and boost in.

Im just using some cheap mineneral 15w/40 for the running in period, then going to change for a good synthetic. Is this the best way

Spoonz : Thanks for the reply, that gives me some confidence im not going to be running lean. Did you get this checked with a wideband? .... with standard fueling?

Thanks again Guys

Ben