Screamer pipe

alanep70

Member +
Lookin to ordered a tdo4l manifold with external gate kit real soon.Just want to know the pros and cons of the screamer pipe?

jamesbaa

Member +
well obviously you get loads of noise when on boost and you'll also need to get a external wastegat!

Iv got one and love it to bits

madman

Member +
Screamer pipe is the external wastegate exhaust pipe that legally should be joined back into the exhaust before the cat. However to be a proper "screamer pipe" it does not join into the exhaust, it dumps straight out into the atmosphere creating a noise similar to a Jet at full noise when it starts to take off. Very loud, very cool, very illegal

and i love mine ;)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I love mine too, though technically i don't have a screamer pipe, it went under and out the back of the car one day :) so mine just dumps directly out the flange that was left at the Tail ext gate, which is even louder believe it or not.

Although there is no evidence of a performance gain but it is my belief that it reduces back pressure in the exhaust system so keeps boost up for slightly longer, but thats just me being optmistic :p

Shorty

Member +
mine is plumbed back through my decat and is as said legal but a decat on a 1996 car is not legal so it just depends on how much atention you want to draw to your car when boosting as i still get to hear the wastegate going off :D

CMR

Member +
Sound awesome in my opinion on an external gate, but shocking when used on internal gates as they sound like a leaking exhaust on idle.

Meshed turbo, ewg + screamer = starlet jet fighter :p:p

Starbus

Member +
mine is plumbed back through my decat and is as said legal but a decat on a 1996 car is not legal so it just depends on how much atention you want to draw to your car when boosting as i still get to hear the wastegate going off :D

A decat isn't illegal as long as the car passes the emmisions laws for that particular year. That said it is VERY hard for a car of newer years to pass an MOT.

I think the law is 1993.

I'm not sure if a screamer pipe is illegal or not, it would have to fall under some technicallity, but as far as i'm aware it there isn't really any actual laws on the area, so it would go to the actual officers discretion. (i.e. a section 171 for been overly loud)

It would be something thats very hard to test as the car needs to be on boost.

Anyway back to the topic

Advantages;
Better boost control,
Can clock the turbo etc easier,
Exhaust can be smaller.
Can increase efficiency

Disadvantages;
Costs more
If done incorrectly can cause problems
Can take up more room
Obvious noise and noise related problems.

I have made silenced screamer pipes in the past.

:)

CMR

Member +
They won't pass an MOT, you might be able to get away with a decat if they put it through a none cat test, but if an MOT tester sees the screamer which is effictively exhausting gas's into the atmosphere.

Doesnt mean you cant swap back to an old mani for MOT though.

CMR

Member +
Yeah but its down to if they know what one is,
Also if its out of the way i.e the wastegate is at the bottom near the turbo they might not even see it lol.

Edit. You might also be able to bung them and pass an MOT but i arnt sure.

Gtstu

Member +
hmm its a tricky one because if its not leaking gasses at the time then i dont think they can fail it.

CMR

Member +
Yeah, i'm interested to know because I will have one shortly too :p

On an internal gate, they leak at idle sometimes so I 100% think they would fail on internal setups.. but as you say on ewg's they dont open till boost.

It might depend on the MOT tester as i think its a grey area especially for imports with them.

Gtstu

Member +
ye i should have one soon too from dave B. No one else has mentioned having problems with an MOT and a EWG

CMR

Member +
Yeah but your GT will be put through a none cat test anyway wont it?

For later GT's and Glanza's they won't even pass an MOT with a decat unless you know the tester

Starbus

Member +
Yeah, i'm interested to know because I will have one shortly too :p

On an internal gate, they leak at idle sometimes so I 100% think they would fail on internal setups.. but as you say on ewg's they dont open till boost.

It might depend on the MOT tester as i think its a grey area especially for imports with them.

Internal gates with screamers only leak if they haven't been done right.

I've done a couple and they seal 100% just like external.

I fitted a "nightpage" 1 for somebody and that didn't seal at all, it was a mile out.

CMR

Member +
Ah right, well I'd heard a couple of vids of internal gate screamers and they all sounded a bit rough on idle.
Doesnt it depend on the size of the internal gate too, i.e the ct9 is small so won't sound the best.