sealing the sump

turboflow

Member +
can anyone help

took off my sump last night the sump was leaking and it was a bit battered.

took that one off and replaced it with a spare i had. i used a silcone sealant for engines. i left it over night to dry and set then filled it with oil this morning and first drive i went gentle to drop off my mate and it was ok. then after that i gave it some to see if it was ok at revs but when i got to work it was spewing out the back of the sump. any one know how to get these things to seal

owen

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
What sealant did you use?
And what way did you put it on?

Try to get the red sealant,halfords stock it,it's not great but its better than most shite.

The best would be Honda sealant,but pricey.

And put it on,let it settle for 10 minutes then put it on and screw it up.Make sure both surfaces are completely clean and dry also.

turboflow

Member +
i dont know shak is going to go read the tube for me now as im at work already. we may have picked one up that is not oil compatible. do u know the exact name of the one you are talkin about

turboflow

Member +
just found it on thier website cheers mate. and i think its the grey i have and it does not say oil compatable. fuck iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Throw some more oil in it,dont drive hard so it wont slosh about.
Keep an eye on it,stop every now and again and check the level if its more than 5mins.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
If its only weeping it shouldnt be too bad,id just keep a close eye on it and have oil with you,check it every 10 minutes or so

turboflow

Member +
just quickly, i noticed when i used a different sump that it did not have the grooves on the two curved ends and neither did the block either, it not leaking from there but is that ok or is it likey to blow through coz of it

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Didnt have the grooves?are you sure they werent filled with the old sealer?

If i remember correctly,even the 5e sump has that

But if it doesnt leak it doesnt leak

Shak-gt

Member +
I also have a question, I was under the car for ages getting the sealent off but it was sooooo difficult to do is there anything i can use or do to make it a whole lot easier (keeping in mind i am talking about the block not the sump so the engine is there)

Shakira