Self Learners????

Tony Harrison

Member +
I bet there has been plenty of discussion about this already, well i know, i have read them, but read this one out.

My car has been sat since lets say the 24th of Dec, and the battery is flat, very flat, not even central locking working flat, and was wondering......

All this talk of aftermarket ECUs being self learning if they are "reset", i was thinking, would my Watanabe one benifit from when i get her charged up again, drive around quite spirited for 10-15mins or what ever so it owuld learn how i drive the engine,

or,

would that be a complete load of nut busting waste of time???

Ty

Guye

Lifer
It doesn't need to be a spirited drive. Watch you afr's, or if you are using a narrow band, pay attention to your boost levels, throttle position and make sure the guage shows "rich" when on boost. I noticed with my Jam, at higher boost levels and lower spoolup rpms (responsive setup), when my battery went flat and was changed the car ran on the lean side initially. I progressively gave it higher and higher levels of boost as the guage show richer readings. That was about 1 1/2 hour's drive (my ecu only has an 8bit processor). Just drive normally and give it progessively more throttle and boost as you monitor the afr's and the overall feel of the car. If your setup/boost level is close to stock (12psi or under), you should be fine from the get go. Final trimming will happen as you drive it more afterwards.

Stu-

Member +
I'm not familiar with your exact ecu but generalistically unless its a full stand alone ecu then there is only ever a very narrow range of 'learning' that the ecu can do. For instance on a full stand alone ecu with wide band input capability it is possible for it to 'self tune/learn' given AFR targets that you set - bear in mind this is never quite as good as a proper road tune or dyno tune. A stock or chipped ecu usually has a set AFR targets and will only deviate from this to a small percentage given input from the narrow band sensor/temp etc.