Serial - USB adapter

J25GTi

Lifer
Hey,

Im trying to install my serial to usb adapter on the laptop so i can map my Fcon V Pro,

I have the cd, and i install the driver for it, and then when i plug the lead in windows vista tries to search for the drivers, so i go through all that and it says it cant find the drivers for it and wont let me use it...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this bloody thing to work?

Cheers

sampsonite

Fresh Recruit
Hi Ya mate,

try this:

Right click my computer
go to manage
click device manager
find the deive (probably under the unkown devices section)
right click the device
click up date driver

vista should then find the driver

If that fails, go to my computer
right click the cd rom drive
click explore the disk
go to the software folder on the driver untill you see something that resembles a driver
in that folder is an INF file - right click on that and click INSTALL
repeat the top section of this post.

let me know how ya get on pal

cheers

sam

J25GTi

Lifer
Hi Ya mate,

try this:

Right click my computer
go to manage
click device manager
find the deive (probably under the unkown devices section)
right click the device
click up date driver

vista should then find the driver

If that fails, go to my computer
right click the cd rom drive
click explore the disk
go to the software folder on the driver untill you see something that resembles a driver
in that folder is an INF file - right click on that and click INSTALL
repeat the top section of this post.

let me know how ya get on pal

cheers

sam

Hi mate, none of that worked, tried all the INF files they dont do anything when manually trying to do it, so im lost...

more than likely its vista being its usual self.. you tried installing the drivers under xp compatability?

No mate, how do i do that?

J25GTi

Lifer
as above - is the device compatible with vista?

It says it is, ive downloaded so many drivers for it now but vista still wont recognise it, im about to throw the laptop out of the window i think,....

how on earth did you get hold of hks power writer software?

That would be telling, ;) I am also going to be looking into making looms and what not for them, obviously doing it properly through the site. but its just an idea at the minute.

J25GTi

Lifer
Im using a prolific usb- serial adaptor, ive tried running it in xp compatability mode and that doesnt work, downloaded 20 different drivers and they wont work, i dont know what else to look for, ive had enough of this now!

How difficult can it be!

EDIT - its a prolific pl2303

Last edited:

J25GTi

Lifer
does it show up as installed and working in device manager?

if so maybe its assigned the wrong com port?

No, when i install the drivers, you plug the lead in, and it has tog o through the windows new hardware installer, and then it says it cant find the drivers, even though i just installed them.

weakboy2

Member +
ah bummer. so you cant re-select them through the windows new hardware bit? (sorry if i have missed stuff and am repeating whats already been said)

J25GTi

Lifer
ah bummer. so you cant re-select them through the windows new hardware bit? (sorry if i have missed stuff and am repeating whats already been said)

Nope, because it doesnt recognise the driver on vista then i cant do anything until i get the right driver for it.

It seems to be a common problem but no one seems to be able to fix it just from a google search, i hate computers, why cant you just plug it in and put the cd in and it just does it?!?