serious boost spike!!!

Sparky

Member +
Been experiencing quite a bit of fuel cut lately due to my decat and front mount filter.

Anyway it normally cuts at between 0.89 bar and 0.94 bar according to my AVCR.

But a few weeks ago my car started to get a missfire at 5k rpm in 5th, popping and bangin out flames, before I had the AVCR fitted it was showing over 1.1 bar on my boost gauge!

I dont have a FCD by the way.

Lately it has been doing this in every gear when you hit full boost and it normally spikes between 1.05 bar and 1.2 bar but one time I seen a spike of 1.52 bar!!!

What is causing this massive spike?

And also when I am in 5th gear cruising on a motorway above 3k rpm, engine management light randomly comes on and stays on until you turn the car off?

I am having an emanage fitted and mapped soon hopefully it will solve it.

Cheers for any replies
Lewis

ChrisGT

Member +
A de-cat and front mount filter is perfect for boost creep! lol It is cutting in quite high for you, nearly 13psi! Quite odd that its letting you boost that far!

I think its just fuel cut mate, the reason you're getting the engine management light come on could be because you're approaching voltages close to fuel cut and the ECU is sort of semi-cutting...not sure actually! lol

Been experiencing quite a bit of fuel cut lately due to my decat and front mount filter.

Anyway it normally cuts at between 0.89 bar and 0.94 bar according to my AVCR.

But a few weeks ago my car started to get a missfire at 5k rpm in 5th, popping and bangin out flames, before I had the AVCR fitted it was showing over 1.1 bar on my boost gauge!

I dont have a FCD by the way.

Lately it has been doing this in every gear when you hit full boost and it normally spikes between 1.05 bar and 1.2 bar but one time I seen a spike of 1.52 bar!!!

What is causing this massive spike?

And also when I am in 5th gear cruising on a motorway above 3k rpm, engine management light randomly comes on and stays on until you turn the car off?

I am having an emanage fitted and mapped soon hopefully it will solve it.

Cheers for any replies
Lewis

Sparky

Member +
I know why I am getting boost creep I just dont know why it has started spiking to over a bar!!

map sensor playing up?

When I fit the emanage and pressure sensor does it remove the stock map sensor or do you leave it plugged in?

weakboy2

Member +
Yep, you need to keep the stock sensor. It wont be a faulty map sensor, would be running like crap.

Do the usual diag checks and see what codes are showing, you need all your engine sensors to be working right before you get it mapped mate.

Also check all the boost hoses for splits. You dont want to be hitting fuel cut so often... can easily damage pistons buddy.

CMR

Member +
A de-cat and front mount filter is perfect for boost creep! lol It is cutting in quite high for you, nearly 13psi! Quite odd that its letting you boost that far!

My stock ecu/ map sensor cuts at 0.9 bar exactly according to my defi gauge reading from the map vac ;)

Sparky

Member +
Right turns out my AVCR was causing the massive spike.

I turned it off yesterday and it goes like fuck now!!

Only hits fuel cut once at like 6500rpm.

So need to get my AVCR set up when the car is being mapped

Johnny_C

Lifer
the exact thing happend my last engine,creeped very high aswell.relocate the filter farther across the front of the car,should help it,and get that boost controller set up properly lad,if u keep driving it like that,it will blow.

Sparky

Member +
I cant relocate the filter more, its a Monster Motorsport one.

I will get it set up tidy when I get the car mapped, I will just leave it off for now

ChrisGT

Member +
I cant relocate the filter more, its a Monster Motorsport one.

I will get it set up tidy when I get the car mapped, I will just leave it off for now

You could extend the filter further away though...something like this:

Photo0094.jpg

ChrisGT

Member +
How you getting on with that hosing chris, holding up ok?

Yeah going well! :D I put that 2.5" piping in because the way the neoprene originally went onto the filter was dodgy haha. Had a small hose joiner wrapped in rubber, then a jubilee clip around it - terrible! Much better now!

What difference will it make having teh filter further away?

Just a longer route for the air to travel.