serious question!!!!

ep89

Fresh Recruit
i have a natural 4e-fe in my 89 starlet, i wanna kno how to get more horses out of the natural engine.:drive:

dac69er

Super Moderator
depends how much money you want to spend?

first thing, make sure the car is fully serviced.

not alot of extra power can be had from the n/a engine.

uprated manifold, exhaust with no cat. uprated intake with good cold air feed would be a start.

increase the base timing a few degrees and run high octane fuel.

thats all cheapish basic stuff. after that you can think about throttle bodies, headwork, cams, piggyback ecu to change fuelling and timing to get the most out of the setup

dac69er

Super Moderator
in all honesty, after doing pretty much as much as possible with that n/a engine, you will probably end up with a max of 120-130bhp.

nexia201

Member +
in all honesty, after doing pretty much as much as possible with that n/a engine, you will probably end up with a max of 120-130bhp.

which would be cheaper putting a 4efte in and get 135 as standard reliable and economical as opposed to the n/a fully tuned

Foggy

Member +
You could turbo the 4efe im sure with the right fueling mods 130bhp would be easy and reliable.

southwalesgt

Member +
Rip the n/a engine out and fit the Turbo lump. Much easier than spending loads trying to get bhp out of the current engine - which stated above wont even match a standard 4e-fte figures. Wouldnt cost too much, main thing will be labour unless you do it yourself.

Engines go for £300-£500 on ebay etc...

Otherwise do the cheapest option - sell it and buy a GT/Glanza

ep89

Fresh Recruit
alright what about this, if i change to the acoustic intake manifold would that really make a difference?:drive: