Shave warped head or replace

omcr

Member +
i recently warped the engine head of my 4efte engine bcus of an old headgasket and was considering buyin a new head but then i was told to shave d head den i heard if the head isnt shaved rite it wudnt fit properly...so i need sum help wich is betta shave the head or replace wit a used 4efe head wich am currently pending r dere ny forums on dis already?? :confused:

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
depends how badly the head is warped an it cud be cracked u wood want to brin it sum where to get it checked out. if it not to bad and not cracked id be gettin the head shaver/skimmed but dats my preference. as the 4efe head is prob diff than a 4efte.

thefalls

Member +
Head can be resurfaced and used again,but it depends about the amount of warp there is.
Bring it to a machine shop and they will tell you how much they have to remove.
You will also have to bear in mind that it will increase your compression ratio a bit.
Is it a stock engine?

bumblebee

Member +
i recently warped the engine head of my 4efte engine bcus of an old headgasket and was considering buyin a new head but then i was told to shave d head den i heard if the head isnt shaved rite it wudnt fit properly...so i need sum help wich is betta shave the head or replace wit a used 4efe head wich am currently pending r dere ny forums on dis already?? :confused:

you jus discovered this? how do you know its warped?

there's a thread on here with the warpage limit...you can do a search, i think you should have the head checked to know how bad it warped before looking into another head

hope this helps

danturbo4311

Member +
I would check the block to if the head is warped, as long as the head is skimmed correctly then it will be fine, you could also get it pressure tested, thing is if you go looking for another head you not gonna no its history & it could be just as bad as your current head so you may will end up skimming that to.

omcr

Member +
you jus discovered this? how do you know its warped?

there's a thread on here with the warpage limit...you can do a search, i think you should have the head checked to know how bad it warped before looking into another head

hope this helps

well the oil was mixin wid the water in da radiator bcus of da bad gasket den i changed dat found out the oil and the water was still mixin so da mech tld me it mayb a warped head

danturbo4311

Member +
Did you remove any of the vacuum/water pipes from the throttle body if so is it possible that they were put back the wrong way round, as this will cause your oil & water to mix too.

omcr

Member +
Head can be resurfaced and used again,but it depends about the amount of warp there is.
Bring it to a machine shop and they will tell you how much they have to remove.
You will also have to bear in mind that it will increase your compression ratio a bit.
Is it a stock engine?

yea its a stock engine gotta post sum pix of da engine bay tho its da most messed up thing i eva seen and i was drivin around wid a bad gasket for about a month+ b4 it really started to act up

omcr

Member +
Did you remove any of the vacuum/water pipes from the throttle body if so is it possible that they were put back the wrong way round, as this will cause your oil & water to mix too.

ok i will check dat cus i had a different mech check it for me and he discovered the car wasnt timed properly

omcr

Member +
depends how badly the head is warped an it cud be cracked u wood want to brin it sum where to get it checked out. if it not to bad and not cracked id be gettin the head shaver/skimmed but dats my preference. as the 4efe head is prob diff than a 4efte.

nah i heard only the vavle springs mayb different but the 4efe shud fit the 4efte from wat i read on here

omcr

Member +
thnx for the help gon try dese tips dis weekend once i get the head out
....last mechanic put bad screws back in with the head.....

danturbo4311

Member +
The 4efe head is the same as the 4efte head as Iv done the swap before. As you said the only difference sometimes is the valve springs but you can noticable see the difference between the 2 springs the 4efe springs are much thinner & taller. I would definetly check the throttle body pipes before removing the head, as its a common mistake for people to make on these engines. when you say that it wasnt timed properly, what wasnt timed properly? the cam gears (which are meshed together), or the cam & crank. Does the engine start?

omcr

Member +
The 4efe head is the same as the 4efte head as Iv done the swap before. As you said the only difference sometimes is the valve springs but you can noticable see the difference between the 2 springs the 4efe springs are much thinner & taller. I would definetly check the throttle body pipes before removing the head, as its a common mistake for people to make on these engines. when you say that it wasnt timed properly, what wasnt timed properly? the cam gears (which are meshed together), or the cam & crank. Does the engine start?

the cam gears meshed together the marking r supposed to meet but he had dem way offi havnt started da car eva since i heard the head was damaged had it towed to grandma's house

omcr

Member +
still workin on this head...the screw heads r messed up so nothing is grippin in them so i mite have to weld something to them to get them out, then i will have to replace them:flame: geh'ing reeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllll impatient

TheStarletGT

Member +
Let me rephrase your problem back into reality.

You over heated the engine, and blew the head gasket in the process = get head skimmed (as mandatory)= and it will be back to normal. This isnt rocket scientist.

Did you distort the camshaft and dizzy shaft aswell... thats how stupid your opening statement sounds.

omcr

Member +
Let me rephrase your problem back into reality.

You over heated the engine, and blew the head gasket in the process = get head skimmed (as mandatory)= and it will be back to normal. This isnt rocket scientist.

Did you distort the camshaft and dizzy shaft aswell... thats how stupid your opening statement sounds.

let me correct you because you seem to have a problem reading

i didnt over heat the engine. wen i bougth the car it had a bad gasket of wich i was unware. i had the car 8 mnths b4 i started usin it. i had to use it before i got it fully serviced because my other car got hit by a truck so i didnt get a chance to check the gasket.

i know i have to get the head skimmed compression tested ect. your correct its not rocket science but, as i later stated thats not the problem, the problem is the damage screws which cannot b taken out at the moment

the camshaft and the dizzy r working as they should...get some facts before running your mouth next time thats how people end up in court ya dig lol

ever wondered why your rep is so low?
would you like me to give you some facts on that as well?

omcr

Member +
jus got the head removed last week thursday or wednesday gonna get it checked this week gotta clean up da engine b4 i do tho...meanwhile check these pix

kevi014.jpg

kevi013.jpg

kevi012.jpg

kevi011.jpg

kevi010.jpg

kevi009.jpg

kevi008.jpg

kevi007.jpg

kevi006.jpg