Short journeys

kyle_d

Member +
I do quite a bit of short journey driving, so im thinking will this be a problem when i get a glanza/GT? I know you are supposed to warm them up before driving but what if you are driving for like less than a mile? Can you start it up and set off withing a minute if you are only gonna be driving real slow? For example going to the shop.

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong section i looked for a while and couldnt work out where else to put it.

Kyle

CMR

Member +
Warm them up as in, dont go hitting 1 bar of boost just after starting it. There is no reason to leave a car idling after starting it from cold.. probably does more harm than good.

As for 1 mile trips, I cant see it being that bad, although on some other cars it can cause EGR valves to gunk up etc, not sure what effect it might have on a starlet

kyle_d

Member +
Okay cool, so there's no need to start it up from cold and leave it running 10mins before you drive it on a decent drive?

addz

Member +
A minute or two to let the oil circulate driving in low range revs no more than 2-3k.

CMR

Member +
Okay cool, so there's no need to start it up from cold and leave it running 10mins before you drive it on a decent drive?

Correct, no reason to, I'm sure its better to drive straight off than leave it idling.

Mike_ep91

Member +
yeah i used to leave it running for a couple of mins but i read somewere that it does more damage than good.

so start the car and drive it easy keeping it under 3k till it gets fully warm before boosting.

kyle_d

Member +
Nice one thanks guys. I'll remember that. It's all stuff like this im gonna have to find out before i get mine.

addz

Member +
I keep mine running for a few minutes before driving off, cruising with revs low, between 2-3k.

Texx

Super Moderator
The most important thing when starting an engine from cold is to get the oil circulating. I would normally start the engine and hold the revs at around 1500-1800 rpm to build up some oil pressure for 30-60 seconds, then as suggested, don't go boosting the balls of it until the engine is up to temperature. When driving from cold, don't load or labour the engine, just drive normally.