signs of dying ct9

keirz

Member +
right i feel this may help others too.

what are the signs of a turbo on its way out?. i know smoke is a sign but are there other signs to look out for to indicate the ct9s about dead.

basically my standard glanza has always spooled loudly and kinda whistled. so i thought it was normal, but i have spoke to people who have said that there glanzas spool very quietly and can hardly be heard. my ct9 spools very quickly to full boost at 0.8bar and doesnt drop off at all, and not a bit of smoke in sight.

is there any reason why my turbo makes such a racket???

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Any noises like that are imbalances in the shaft, I've just removed a whistler that was out of balance with excessive ware to the blades. Apart from that smoke is common when the seals go, also excessively cracked wastegates are easy to spot, hairline fractures are okay but large ones will hamper boost control. Excessive side/side & in/out movement of the shaft, a little side/side is standard affair but excessive movement is a no no, in extreme cases the blades may even be touching the housing.

The CT9 is generally on it's way by around 70,000 - 80,000 miles, obviously all cars will be different pending condition, driving style, age but most we see are pretty tied by then. Some will go for over 150,000 miles just all depends really...

T

dac69er

Super Moderator
is it more of a whine or just a high pitched whistle? higher when at full boost?
if so then its probably just getting a bit worn out. seals may eventually go, wouldnt worry too much though. its just naturally wearing out if thats the case

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Mine made a slight high pitched whine type noise at mid range revs then cleared at higher revs, then a week or so afterwards oil seals started to go and smoked like hell on idle then a week after that the bearings collapsed and the turbo wheels seized :shoot: :flame:

dac69er

Super Moderator
mine sounds like a supercharge on initial spool-up. seems to last ok though, been over a year so far

keirz

Member +
thanks

its actually more of a whine. sounds kinda electrical. im noticeing no problems with boost at all, altough i have felt that its a little down on pull than it used to be.

in genaral, if a turbo is reaching the correct boost with very little lag and not droping off is it in good working order, ie will be performing to full potential? or will it be at full boost and not working good?

dac69er

Super Moderator
balance can alter the speed the turbo would spool, but it would be very minimal and you would probably never notice tbh

alfradio

Member +
Are replacement CT9 turbos readily available (NEW) how about the ones from
the EP91 cars (CT9b?) which are more efficient...

alf

Adam_Glanza

Member +
think my ct9 is on its way out too but thats why the td04 is on its way, think it may be the bearing coz i hear it most when it spools and even sometimes when engine breaking i can hear it kinda going dududuududu like its spooling down, ive just had the gearbox rebuilt so it cant be that?

noticed it does it most at around 2-3000 rpm so thats ct9 spooling range too? what you guys think