slight blue smoke when cold?

karls_car

Member +
after fitting my td04, i have noticed when the car is cold (first started) for 1 min or so, when driving slight blue smoking from exhuast,

the oil return feed from turbo to the sump has a kink in it where it enters the sump, (need to get more flexable hose )

could this be causing the slight smoke, due to the oil being thicker when cold and finding it hard to flow and maby backing up slightly
, but once hot, flowing through ok so no smoke :confused:

what you think..?

cheers karl

GTWorld

Member +
Blue smoke usually means piston rings or turbo seals but i think that the kink could be your problem change it over and see... others will able to give you a more accruate answer..

karls_car

Member +
just befor the tdo4 went on, i did an oil change and the oil i used was to thin and car was rele smoky, so drained it out, and then re filled with differnt oil, and was much better, but still then on start up there was a slight blue smoke but seemed to be gettin less and less

lingl9z

Member +
just befor the tdo4 went on, i did an oil change and the oil i used was to thin and car was rele smoky, so drained it out, and then re filled with differnt oil, and was much better, but still then on start up there was a slight blue smoke but seemed to be gettin less and less

Strange, get the hotpipe off ur IC and check for oil in there

EP824U

Member +

that cudve been cos u overfilled it. does the smoke smell? r u loosing coolant or oil?

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you have a kink in the return pipe and the oil cannot flow back to the sump properly then the oil will blow out of the turbo seals.
get it changed asap and you may get away without buggering it up.

karls_car

Member +
long shot, any one know the diameter off the return pipe, THO4 its a WEPR one, .. i had a ruff measure looks around 18mm ??

billybob

Untrusted Seller
mate if you have blue smoke and you just changed your turbo its the seals on the turbo were did you get the turbo from?