Slipping Clutch and a lot of Oil....Help

DavidAshton

Member +
Ive known about this oil being there for about a year now but its never effected anything untill now....

My biting point has slowly been rising up the pedal, and now the clutch has started slipping. Its an exedy 3 puk paddle that was brand new and has only been in a year running circa 200bhp, so i know it should not be dead yet. If it was just the clutch id just get on with it and get another but i think there is a bigger issue with all this oil ive been ignoring.

Pics!!!

dsc00493h.jpg

dsc00494jy.jpg

Now my sump leaks at the pulley side, yet another job ive put off so im guessing it leaks on the clutch side of things too......but could this oil actually be something else, ive read about rear crank seals going. Does this look like the symptoms? I guess it would explain why such a clutch would be slipping, but still bite is at the top of the pedal so i imagine its worn out.

I get a really bad judder when it slips too, its not a smooth slip if you get me?

Any help / advise of where / what to look at would be greatly appriciated and what to do next?

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
That looks bad, your clutch will be contaminated with oil. you should really have got it fixed straight away.

weeJohn

Lifer
Has the sump been off at some point and the leaks started after that?

It could be just the sealant was not put on thick enough around the 2 dips of the sump under the seal housings. It needs to be put on much thicker in those areas than the rest of the edges.

Its a good chance the friction plate is done as said above, but before going to the hassle of changing the clutch, reseal the sump first, clean up the leaked oil and see if that helps. Its easy to do and if its the problem you might save you changing 2 seals that dont need changed as they are not leaking and even saving a new friction plate that gets put in and the same thing happen.