Smokey TD04 setup

stavros

Member +
Hey all,

Bit of a query. After it was discovered the oil seals were gone on my CT9 I decided to go down the TD04 route. After putting it all back together I took it out for a drive last night, I spent 15minutes just pottering around with no problems and then I opened it up a little on the dual carriage way. I noticed when I was hitting boost I was getting a plume of smoke out of the back followed by consistant smoking all the time my foot was on the throttle.

When the car is started I get no smoke and when the car is idling there is very little smoke, it only seems to appear once the engine has warmed up.

Might be a silly question, but could it be the 'heat resistant' paint within the new mani and decat burning off pherhaps? I originally thought it could be any oil sitting in the exhaust from the previous oil leak but ive taken it out twice now for 20mins a time and im still smoking.

Ive checked the oil levels and they dont appear to have dropped ive also done a compression test, working left to right:

1. 130
2. 132
3. 132
4. 142

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am only running stock boost at the moment with standard injectors and uprated fuel pump (plus fmic and rfpr) if thats any bearing factor?

Cheers in advance.

stavros

Member +
What colour smoke is it you get mate??

It was hard to tell because of my back windscreen, but it looks white however smells of burning oil? Think i'll take the FMIC hosing off tonight to see if theres any oil in it I think :confused:

Mikey4410

Member +
Eh somebody correct me but are those psi readings on the cylinders very low? There meant to be 150-180? I had 130 on my 4th cylinder as the conrod was banana shaped. . . . . .

stavros

Member +
Eh somebody correct me but are those psi readings on the cylinders very low? There meant to be 150-180? I had 130 on my 4th cylinder as the conrod was banana shaped. . . . . .

I thought they were low too, but they are all relatively consistant? :confused:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
as mark may remember stavros i had white smoke from my td04, my old one once hit boost, it also made a noise, and proved to be bearings and seals gone.
i just bought another one and have been problem free since mate.

probley cheaper to buy another td04 and try that mate, there only like 60 pounds.

Mikey4410

Member +
The consistent thing doesnt matter.unless you are forged(they run bit less comp but dont now how much less)there meant to be 150 to 185 odd.please somebody confirm?

stavros

Member +
as mark may remember stavros i had white smoke from my td04, my old one once hit boost, it also made a noise, and proved to be bearings and seals gone.
i just bought another one and have been problem free since mate.

probley cheaper to buy another td04 and try that mate, there only like 60 pounds.

I was thinking it might be the case :(... I'll try and pick another one up at the weekend I think :)

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
logic suggests, best thing is to swap turbos as there fairly cheap, then u can start to rule stuff out mate, and if their is a bigger prob can fix it right first time rather then wasting money in other areas.
yh ur compressions are lower then normal, so dont rule anything out jist yet, but start with turbo as its the cheapest option.

stavros

Member +
logic suggests, best thing is to swap turbos as there fairly cheap, then u can start to rule stuff out mate, and if their is a bigger prob can fix it right first time rather then wasting money in other areas.
yh ur compressions are lower then normal, so dont rule anything out jist yet, but start with turbo as its the cheapest option.

Cheers buddy, hopefully picking up one tomorrow...

stavros

Member +
After taking the car out for another spin again briefly today, it appears its burning oil. The smoke is white with a blue hint. Could it not be the oil laying in the exhaust from when my oils seals went last time?

Ive checked the FMIC piping and no oil?

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
yes it can be mate.
maybe tho u have a bigger problem??
as when u stress the engine ie under boost it smokes yes?????
ma be your rings are going a bit mate, or valve stems seals.

stavros

Member +
Did you prime the turbo?

Yep all primed before hand buddy; although the turbo was aparantly sitting for some time on a shelf, which would point to a perished oil seals I guess

yes it can be mate.
maybe tho u have a bigger problem??
as when u stress the engine ie under boost it smokes yes?????
ma be your rings are going a bit mate, or valve stems seals.

Yea possibly mate; would the stem seals cause smoke when the cars fired up? As you say, it only starts to smoke after the 1st full boost, then its continuous, less so when driven off boost or idling

Mikey4410

Member +
Did say a few days back that ure comps were low dude.could well b rings! If it is its no biggy.head of and pistons out is realatively easy so dont worry to much!

stavros

Member +
yes, but could also be rings stavros,
check ya dipstick mate, and see how much ya using?

Cheers for getting back pal. Just popped off the lambda sensor to see if theres any oil in the downpipe and theres none which is odd.

Ive had a look at the dip stick and the levels are the same as when I topped it up the other night, although ive only taken the car out for 3 short drives so far... mmmm looks like im going to end up forging her alot earlier than planned lol

stavros

Member +
Did say a few days back that ure comps were low dude.could well b rings! If it is its no biggy.head of and pistons out is realatively easy so dont worry to much!

Cheers pal; if thats the case then i'll do that. I was intending on forging the car early part of next year, but looks like I might bring that forward in that case. This ones a bit of a 'learner' car never stripped a standard block before, so this should be interesting :beer:

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
no need to forge just yet mate.
drive it longer mate, then reprt back with oil usuage, and how much and how often u check it etc.
3 short drives nt long enough.
no need to rush into that just yet