Snapped thread in block :(

ktl

Member +
metal shavings in block after drilling snapped bolt.

T-piece for my aftermarket oil pressure gauge had snapped off today at front of the block(where the oil pressure sensor goes). Stud extractor didnt work so my mate had to drill it out. However they might of been metal shavings that went into the block. Whats the best thing to remove all the shavings ?

Thanks

Last edited:

ktl

Member +
Oh yeah i forgot, engine is apart already except the crank and pistons.

The shavings is in the oil channel. Just dont no how to flush it out from there.

hubbygt

Member +
If you can get a magnet of somekind like one of the telescopic tool finder ones. You could use that and just dredge the gallery if possible at all....

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would personally strip the block again and then clean all the oilways thoroughly. any otherway is running a risk. how far you go depends how lucky you feel!

ktl

Member +
There is just the crank + pistons in the block now. Would i effect the bearings if i take the rods out ? This is not what i wanted to do and have to replace them as nothing wrong with them ??

dac69er

Super Moderator
wont be a problem mate. the bearings are new i guess? as long as you are reasonably careful with them you will be fine.

if they are used i would change them, but if you really dont want to, make sure you just keep them in the order they came out in. better to do it now mate. i know its a pain, but better than wrecking the engine if there is some filings in the engine

ktl

Member +
Yesyes i want to do it properly aswell :), just didnt want to fork out new forged bearings. I think there around a year and half old.

Thats took my nerves out of me mind abit now lol thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
you dont get forged bearings mate. even if they have been in a year i would at least want to have a look at them and check. if you see any wear on them i would replace them. alot easier to do now and it will only cost you around £100 or so for a whole set.