so my mechanic told me.....

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
that much to replace?i kno someone sellin an engine with a cracked piston for 120...would i be better buyin that n using that bottom end?

Rob H

Member +
it would be better to use another bottom end but you can have the crank reground if its not too far gone. make shore you check the cylinder walls for damage if the other engine has a cracked piston.

plus if yours has spun a shell the con rod may be damaged too so that would need to be replaced too. all in all its not a cheep job!

poke

Member +
it would cost you a bit to fix your oil pump could be gone aswell its not alot of work to do just parts cost a bit!!
your looking at 100 euro or more for shells if your cranks warped you would be better off doing big end and main bearings!!i bought a second hand engine with piston gone replaced piston and headgasket year later still running perfect!!
hope this helps

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
ok so if i bought the engine with the cracked piston what am i better to do?fix the engine with the cracked piston or the onde with the done bottom end?sorry about the stupid questions but i just wana kno more on the subject:)

poke

Member +
you could do that but you'd be better off doing bearings if your taking out the crank and as rob sayed the engine has to come out neway so theres a bit of work!!

AdamB

Member +
ok so if i bought the engine with the cracked piston what am i better to do?fix the engine with the cracked piston or the onde with the done bottom end?sorry about the stupid questions but i just wana kno more on the subject:)

Ideally you would need to rip both engines apart to tell which ones the best, or cost the least to replace.

Rob H

Member +
it would be better to use the engine with cracked piston as it is very hard to get all the debris out of the other engine. all so have you any idea what caused it to fail in the first place?? it would be worth fitting a new oil pump too and timing belt, tensioners as well

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
it would be better to use the engine with cracked piston as it is very hard to get all the debris out of the other engine. all so have you any idea what caused it to fail in the first place?? it would be worth fitting a new oil pump too and timing belt, tensioners as well

havnt got a clue mate i bought the car a year ago damaged and only got it running last week only to find this out:Z

corofin12345

Member +
replace whole engine with a good lump.. to get all the above done will equal the price of a good second hand engine..

Rob H

Member +
yep I have to agree it would make more sense to replace the engine to make sure every thing is good.

Rob H

Member +
thats what there its all about lol!! but if you got it knowing it had issues what more can you expect??