some advice on crankshaft pleese???

hi every1

wondering if some1 can help me please....my poor ep82 has been off the road for a few weeks now, knocking started from bottom end when i accelerate.
ive been told my crank needs grinding and possibly need new shells...wont know what else till engine comes apart...but as it only just started knocking my mate says i may get away with the crank n shells.....
anyway instead of sending off to be reground im wondering if i can jus replace the crank with a 2nd hand one from a low milage block??? does anyone know if its ok to do this?? obviusly ill buy new shells but are there any complications that i may face by jus replacing the crank and can i still use my bottom end of block?? and what else may i need to replace if doing this? ie fuel filter, rods.....im really not sure!
if u get what i mean??
any advice would be appreciated.....
cheers
:)suzie:)

ragz

Member +
replace the crank you should be ok
personaly id replace all the bearings at the same time

Boab

Member +
You would need to inspect the crank that you want to put in it. Also, it would be silly not to put a set of bearings into it when you have it stripped down that far.

Bob

Brad_L

Member +
how bad is it knocking?

Mine started knocking when my oil return pipe split. The garage wipped the sump off and removed the shells.

Luckily the garage just polished the crank slighty and fitted new bearing and its been perfect ever since,

I would remove the shells first before ripping it apart.

Rory

Lifer
Only problem being if you do replace the crank, is what sze of bearings to buy.

If i were you i would get the crank out, have it reground and polished and have the machine shop supply bearings to suit.

That way you will know it should be fine for a long time to come.

yeh i would replace bearings anyway, thought that might be a prob with a 2nd hand crank is matching bearings etc.....does anyone know how much it should cost to get a regrind? and how can i find some1 that does this? does regrinding it affect the power at all??? is it worth replacing anything else while the block is out?....cheers guys lol clueless women here!! typical ey:)

tidy yeh have msgd him....its probly best to jus replace the whole bottom end then by the time i fuss ass around getting crank out n reground etc........thanx guys
p.s whatta great site! v.helpful!!:rockon:

sam_glanz

Member +
You wont lose power on a crank re-grind, alot of people say it can weaken the crank where your removing material, In my opinion i would not like to regrind the crank, I no of people that have had there cranks ground with oversized bearings and have been fine.. but its upto the owner, get a unground crank send it to a engineer, lightly polished, with STD bearings will probley sort you out :)

Tanz

Lifer
You wont lose power on a crank re-grind, alot of people say it can weaken the crank where your removing material, In my opinion i would not like to regrind the crank, I no of people that have had there cranks ground with oversized bearings and have been fine.. but its upto the owner, get a unground crank send it to a engineer, lightly polished, with STD bearings will probley sort you out :)

x2...

thats what i would do....

cheers ill bare that in mind, hoping to buy crank an block in 1 now (found sum1 with a spare bottom end!! sweet...im sure between the 2 blocks i can sort summin!...........ill keep yall posted!:rockon:
suzie