Something loose/broken on rear of Glanza

rb69

Member +
Hi, I need some help from you guys. I am getting a knocking sound coming from the rear of my Glanza. I dont think it is the top mounts as they are bolted up fine. If I stand at the rear side of the car I can push it and it wobbles from side to side making the knocking sound. I have jacked it up and looked underneath but haven't seen anything loose. It has an RSR panhard rod fitted, not sure if that may be loose.

Any help would be really appreciated :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
if its rocking then it does sound like the panhard rod. would handle really bad if its loose. mine was just a little loose and it felt awful

rb69

Member +
Thats a great help guys. I tried looking by just jacking it up but didnt want to try wobbling it about in case the car fell on my head.

I guess with it being an adjustable rod they are more likely to come loose? Do they have to be taken completely off and re adjusted?

madman

Member +
deffo the panhard rod buddy slap some loctite on to it and it will solve your problem i had the same thing happening me the whole time

dark_knight

Member +
adjusting the panhard rod

@rb69: no, you don't have to take the APR off to adjust it, that's if you need to adjust it in the first place. if you can jack the car up high enough, you can do it while still on the car. there was a thread on here about how to do it easily with it still in the car.

you could either adjust it;
a) by sight:
placing your jack on the axle & loading it to mimic the car being on the ground then adjusting it, or
b) by calculation:
do some math based on car height versus the stock panhard rod length versus how low you want your car to be etc. this will then give you by how many mm you will need to shorten the APR.

i'd do it by sight.. :) here's a little diagram i made to help you with the workings of the lateral rod and to help show you what you need to do.. but i'm sure you already knew all that.. given your mechanical prowess.. :D

Last edited:

rb69

Member +
Thank you! That's a great help. It currently looks like the second picture down in your diagram. I will give it a go and try and sort it all out.
Thanks for helpng me get to the bottom of the issue

dark_knight

Member +
culprit

you're most welcome mate. hope that IS the culprit so that you can rest easy.. :D let us know how it goes..

rb69

Member +
Quick update. It is the panhard rod but its definitely not loose. Took it to a garage as the weather was shit and couldn't get under the car properly on my drive. The mechanic said it was as tight as it would go but might need a new one as it was still wobbling from side to side. Possibly the bushes are knackered?

dark_knight

Member +
injured bushes

@rb69: yup. if it's correctly torqued and you still have some wobble, then you are most likely looking at injured bushes. no need for a new panhard, unless you are upgrading to an adjustable one for instance. try find a breaker or a yard that will give you the bushes.. :)

rb69

Member +
Hi mate. It already is an upgraded one. It's an RS-R. Will that mean it needs replacing or can I get replacement bushes for an RS-R?

dark_knight

Member +
fabricated bushes

not sure about the RS-R mate - maybe another forum member may advise. we have some fabricators here that can cut-to-size rubber mounts that can be used in a variety of applications. not sure if this is a viable option in your locale.
worst case scenario would be to just get a whole new panhard.. :(