speedo converter? why you so hard to undo?

Turbo for balls

Fresh Recruit
hi guys, i have got a speedo converter for my gt, its a mechanical one from sva speedo's on ebay.
im fairly conferdent at doing things on my car and if it is out of my abilty i get my mate to do it, but i feel kinda embrassed to call him up to say i cant fit my converter because its such a easy job to do, yet i cant do it.:(

i had a look at the guide on here
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?155-how-to-fit-a-cable-MPH-converter

and just attemped it to fail badly.

the main problem is i can not undo the cable that is going into the gearbox, in the guide it says to undo by hand and there is no way that is going to happen, its so tight it wont move at all.
i tryed some lube...no diffrence
i dont have a socket big enough to fit over it, it must be 25-30mm, i also tryed with a with a aj spanner opened as big as it can go and that dident even fit over it.

all i ended up doing was breaking a bit of plastic of the top of it.

so, any ideas how to get this off? are they all this diffacult to undo?
im proper stressed from this lol time for a j i think.

thanks again

weeJohn

Lifer
The 2 different metals tend to corrode where they meet so the threads are bunged up, as you have found out.

Try another drop of release fluid, let it soak in for an hour or more then give it a good tap all around with a lrge spanner, not so hard it will dent it but. That will help break down the corossion and hopefully will make it easier to remove. A socket is going to hit on all sides and will give you more chance of getting it off mate, even if you went to your local garage and asked they might help you out with the socket.