Speedvision cams and Valve clearance

Rory

Lifer
Right,

Im shimming the Speedvisions cams just now.

For the people that have shimmed these themselves, do you roughly know the shim sizes that were needed, for the intake and Exhaust sides?
I wont be taking this as gospel, just a rough idea of whats needed.

I have 3 sets of shims here for standard setups, obviously these change and are not a set size.
.116" and .119" are the 2 sizes that are commonly used.
With a full bank of .116" shims the butt end of the cam still touches the shim.
I dont have enough .112" shims to try, or any below .116" hence the question above.

Was hoping to have the bugger shimmed this weekend, but looks like ill have to wait,until i have shims ground to suit. Bugger.

Any help is very much appreciated, rep for the people that give me what im looking for. ;)

Rory

Phil

Super Moderator
we fitted these ourselves, but that doesnt help you any for ive no idea about the clearances etc that we had, chris had the feeler gauge out for 15mins then we had the rocker back on. been fine since.

maybe if chris sees this he can add something more technical/some details of the clearance.

Phil

Rory

Lifer
Its not the clearance value im looking for, its the shim size/thickness.

I had a feeling Chris would be the one to answer, when he hopefully sees this.

Cheers Phil. :)

Rory

AzE_B

Member +
Its not the clearance value im looking for, its the shim size/thickness.

I had a feeling Chris would be the one to answer, when he hopefully sees this.

Cheers Phil. :)

Rory

you need to work out the shim thickness by measuring the valve clearance

350ep70gr

Member +
you need to work out the shim thickness by measuring the valve clearance

X2 + a shim of 5,6mm lets say will give different clearence if you put it on an other valve. You should check them one by one eith a feeler gauge and then remove it and insert a new one with more or less thickness than the original one according to your readings.
In my head i have use shims from 5,25 to 5,65mm iirc but i have oversised valves and reprofile cams...(but is the same procedure you need to follow aswell)

Chris

Rory

Lifer
I know how to measure them lads ;)

Im looking for a ball park figure, of what size shims were used, that is all.

Texx

Super Moderator
I have 3 sets of shims here for standard setups, obviously these change and are not a set size.

With a full bank of .116" shims the butt end of the cam still touches the shim.

If you've got 3 sets of shims Rory, it would probably be easier to grind one set down so they give an excessive clearance, then you'll have something to measure from.

Rory

Lifer
Ive just sat and done them one at a time with the 1 smallest shim i have. :mad:
Pain in the erse, but needs must.

Hopefully have a set ground tomorow night,at my brothers work.

Was wanting to see if others were the same using the Speedvision cams.

If you've got 3 sets of shims Rory, it would probably be easier to grind one set down so they give an excessive clearance, then you'll have something to measure from.

Rory

Lifer
Shims in, cam in, torque down, measure, undo, switch shims, cam in, torque down etc etc etc

Im not the most patient person in the world... :D

weeJohn

Lifer
the cams do not need to be removed to check clearance or to adjust the shims but you do need the correct tools to do it from toyota

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=toyota+valve+adjustment+tool&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

use this

He needed to remove them as he only had one shim and not one shim for each bucket, so it was the same shim used for each valve!

Rory I thought these cams were designed to not need shimming, or is it additional valve work thats throwing yours off?

weakboy2

Member +
no two sets of cams are the same though i would always check the clearances!!

i know what you are getting at though, as re-grinds need shimming massively and usually fly out lol

Rory

Lifer
Gee, read my post again. ;)

the cams do not need to be removed to check clearance or to adjust the shims but you do need the correct tools to do it from toyota

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=toyota+valve+adjustment+tool&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

use this

Thank you John, somebody that reads posts!
Thats what i thought, but then again, nothing goes to plan.
I need to re-grind a full bank of shims, for the clearances to come in.

He needed to remove them as he only had one shim and not one shim for each bucket, so it was the same shim used for each valve!

Rory I thought these cams were designed to not need shimming, or is it additional valve work thats throwing yours off?

Cheers Terry.

It's going to be rather difficult to remove the shims when theres zero valve clearance.

Lewis,
I know 2 sets of cams are diffirent, hence a ball park figure, that is all.
Its not the cams that will need ground, the shims need done, I have billet cams, which have put on weight! :p

no two sets of cams are the same though i would always check the clearances!!

i know what you are getting at though, as re-grinds need shimming massively and usually fly out lol

starlet666

Member +
a ball park figure though still realisticly will not help though bud... every single car is different

every set of cams will b ever so slightly different
the heads and valves will b ever so slightly different there is too many what if's to throw a ball park figure just cause there are so many variables

Texx

Super Moderator
a ball park figure though still realisticly will not help though bud... every single car is different

the heads and valves will b ever so slightly different there is too many what if's to throw a ball park figure just cause there are so many variables

If you install new cams and find zero clearance with the shims you have, then obviously they are too thick and so will need to be ground down or replaced with thinner shims. Until you have a thin enough shim that gives some clearance there will be nothing to measure from. This is probably why Rory asked what thickness shims others had used when fitting Speedvision cams. From knowing what the most common thickness of shim had been used, you'd be able to identify how much to grind off of some shims to enable an initial clearance check to be made.

You wouldn't expect to just use someone else's shim thickness and all clearances to be within tolerance, but there also wouldn't be much use in having shims ground down if they are still going to be too thick. It also wouldn't be of much use to have shims ground down to the point they are so thin you'd never use them after the initial clearance check.

Once you've made your initial clearance check, you'd then be able to have a complete set of shims ground down to give the required clearances for your engine.

Rory

Lifer
I know all cams are diffirent!!! :teach:

FOR ONE LAST TIME,IM LOOKING FOR A BALL PARK FIGURE TO START FROM.
I WONT BE TAKING THEM AS GOSPEL, JUST A BALL PARK FIGURE

Thank you again Terry, it seems like you read posts properly! :)

Anyway, ive got all shims away for grinding tonight.
Ill report back when done.