split/hole in rubber brake caliper piston seal, will this loose brake pressure ?????

johnnygt

Member +
Hi

as above guys

some of u may know i'm having a dilemma with my brakes as i have no braking pressure at all

my question is - if there is a split in the rubber seal that goes around the brake caliper piston can it leak air or stop me from having brake pressure etc ??

as i have no brake pressure at all & it's a bloody nightmare now, even changed the master cylinder from a running car

dac69er

Super Moderator
the square profile o ring seal or the dust seal you can seal from the outside?

if its just the dust seal then it will eventually let crap in which will cause issues, but if you have no leaking and its all free then you will be fine for now. it wont be causing your issue

johnnygt

Member +
the square profile o ring seal or the dust seal you can seal from the outside?

if its just the dust seal then it will eventually let crap in which will cause issues, but if you have no leaking and its all free then you will be fine for now. it wont be causing your issue

Hi

it's the round rubber seal around the rear brake caliper

also we sprayed the calipers & over the rubber seal too :/

i dont understand why i'm not getting any brake pressure at all been on it for weeks now :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
still not sure what one you mean???

not for the starlet but same difference. is it the one on the left or the right?

mDc3vp6pXzRoRHxTFbwlzhQ.jpg

if its the one on your left, its no problem. but could do with being replaced

johnnygt

Member +
still not sure what one you mean???

not for the starlet but same difference. is it the one on the left or the right?

mDc3vp6pXzRoRHxTFbwlzhQ.jpg

if its the one on your left, its no problem. but could do with being replaced
It's the one on the left the black rubber seal can this cause any air or fluid leaks? Or can it contaminate the brake fluid because i have sprayed caliper paint over this rubber seal

dac69er

Super Moderator
it is just a dust seal, the brakes would work fine without them, but it would allow water and crap to get in to ruin the piston and seal after a while. if you have no visible fluid leaks then its not your issue, but could do with being replaced for the long term.

johnnygt

Member +
it is just a dust seal, the brakes would work fine without them, but it would allow water and crap to get in to ruin the piston and seal after a while. if you have no visible fluid leaks then its not your issue, but could do with being replaced for the long term.

Hi thanks for the info :)

I have removed all 4 calipers off the car today & inspected them & they all seem ok except jus the one rear caliper with 4 little needle size holes

Could it be becuause i am usinf new BUT slightly smaller bleed nipples ?

Have no brake pressure at all :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
as long as the bleed nipples let fluid out and stop fluid when you tighten them they will be fine.

how are you bleeding the brakes? start from the furthest from the master cylinder and make sure you get a decent bit of fluid through on that one and you have had to top up the reservoir. then do the next furthest away until you get to the closest. top up the fluid and you should be good unless you have a leak or a knackered master cylinder