Spraying RC Shell

CTR_Timmy

Member +
Has anyone sprayed an RC shell. Looking to do my first one this weekend but have no idea! I have brought pearl white and intend on doing something like this.

Timssupahmotah.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bullet

Member +
i've done it but never done any wacky designs, you spray the inside of the shell, that way the paint doesnt get damaged until you wreck it. for a design like that i would say your better off getting a transfer and then spray over the transfer, works the same as masking it up really

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
I did one before but as bullet said spray the inside mine had a design on it but it was stickers on the out side an sprayed on the inside.

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I have already got the Yukes graphics to go on. would be a challenge to do those first time around lol. How many coats do I need? I also have light buckets do i spray them?

Sharkman645

Member +
Ive done quite a few shells using spray paints from motorfactors and tamiya paint. Car paint is fine to use but when you hit a kerb it chips really easy, i would recommend using tamiya paint as it can take abit more abuse. Just spray light coats until your happy that it is painted evenly and allow it to dry for abit between each coat as the paint can run very easily (i noticed the paint runs more easily when using motorfactor paint, tamiya paint will run but not as easily) hope this helps you.

Makesure the shell is cut, drilled etc and smooth before spraying, and dont remove the overspray film on the outside of shell until your happy with the way the shell looks then add your decals at the end.

Last edited:

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I have brought Fastrax pearl white paint and silver and tamiya black however looks like dont need the silver or black as I thought you had to spray the light buckets. Opps!!!

thanks for your input just hope it turns out ok. I have carbon fibre vinyl to wrap splitter, wing and bonnet possibly do boot lid too :)

CTR_Timmy

Member +
I heard that if you spray black over the top it darkens the main colour? May try the silver on top. dont want to ruin the pearl effect

richglanzav

Member +
i gta get me another one of these lol...which model u got dude?

i used to never stick any stickers on it besides the headlights and black lines round the windows that was it. and i did all my cars the same colour scheme, bright yellow with black flames all over and an all black spoiler...and if u want to mask anything for different colours see if ya can find the paint on masking stuff, much more intricate than normal masking. just paint it on then spray your first colour when its dry. then peels off like masking tape.

Sharkman645

Member +
I heard that if you spray black over the top it darkens the main colour? May try the silver on top. dont want to ruin the pearl effect

Using black would darken the colour, if you have any lexan left from trimming the shell you could paint them and then spray colours over them to how they effect the main colour