Spraying the IC with CO2...

fred

Member +
right thinking as a short term thing for a 1/4 time..

spray the IC with a co2 fire extinguisher to cool the inlet temps down?

Would stay cold for the 30 seconds or so needed, but would it run the risk of the boost spiking?

I assume your talking about doing this to the stock tmic?

if yes then would there be room for the sprayer between the bonnet and tmic?

other thing thats going thru my head is that the tmic is so small and if your running more boost than stock then the air will be travelling thru the tmic very rapidly and Im not sure if this method would have effect on such a small cooler but tbh theres only one real way to find out :p

oh right!

ah it does sound like a good idea as when waiting on to take off on a drag strip any front mount would soak up alot of heat.. i notice this sitting at traffic lights also:p

Rik

Member +
I think they did this with a drag skyline didn't they? Before it set off, on an airport runway? I'm not sure where the video is now though!

Rory

Lifer
Cant see it being a problem.
Ive seen a few people do this with Subaru's, TMIC and FMIC.

Onlky thing i can think of is the AFR's, would possibly have to watch them.

It should usually be fine I would say. Could depend on your tune in the instance that you tune is so good that he has so fine tuned the car it is running on the border of being very lean so in that case Co2 could cause the AFR to cause some damage, however, mostly likely the car is mapped slightly to the rich side so it should be fine

Monkfish

Member +
Yeh, it can be done, and it's quite effective by all accounts. You shouldn't have much problem if you have a decent boost controller and fuel management.

Watch where you use it mind. Santa Pod let you use CO2, but it has to be before your run and if they see any moisture dripping, they'll pull you off the strip.

Nwimie

Member +
it has a good effect its practically the same as licking the back of your hand in the wind and you can feel the air on your hand. and without you cannot.

fred

Member +
Problem is I am currently on standard fueling, standard management with the boost turned up a little. (no where near the fuel cut)

Surly this means the AFR could change enough to cause damage?