Squeeking / grinding noise coming from drivetrain

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I don't know where abouts exactly it is coming from, I had the car up on a four post ramp and the noise went away. It is only there when driving on the road, ie load on the drivetrain.

It is more noticeable after the car has been sitting for any longer than about 15 minutes. It is quite a loud squeeking noise, along with a scraping noise thrown in there too. It seems to go with the speed of the wheels.

The noise doesn't doesn't change/disappear on pressing or releasing the clutch.

I have checked all boots are intact.

I have also noticed a small leak of gearbox oil, I suspect it is leaking at the driver side shaft, though I checked the box for oil and as soon as I opened the fill level bung oil came out, so I assume there is enough oil in there.

The box has what I suspect as being a mechanical LSD, as it has always been rather clunky, so along the lines of cusco diff maybe.

I have a feeling it may be either the diff or a dry inner joint.

Has anyone else ever came across this sort of noise and found out what the problem is? I use the car as a daily, so I don't really have the oppurtunity for taking the box out, or the shafts out etc to have a good look.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

triple j

Member +
could be a bad wheel bearing, u should hear it more when cornering, say u corner left u would hear the wheel bearing noise on the opposite wheel that has the weight down on it.