Standard dv

S1MSGTT

Member +
Ok so I have been reading lots of posts on dumpvalves coz i got a few questios about mine. I havnt long owned a stalet turbo so not very clued up on them.
Right my dumpvalve is PLASTIC :confused:. Is this a standard one converted to dump to atmosphere? If so where was it originally?
Also it dumps from virtually no boost, whenever you lift off the throttle in fact, even if you gently feather the throttle you can here it hissing until you put your foot down firmer. Is this right?
It seems to hold boost when you accelerate and actually sounds quite nice when dumping from full boost (chatter :)) so Id keep it but is it losing me power?

alotofpower

Fresh Recruit
The standard dumpvalve is black plastic, its located on the top/front/left side of the engine. It should close when you hard rev so the turbo can build pressure and open when you release the throttle to let out the built up air that you dont need from the turbo. You should hear a slight swoosh noise when you release the throttle after reving hard. The air that it releases goes to the air intake. Theres not much more that can be said about it. Other dump valves work the same way except they release the air into your engine bay quicker so you can hear it. Hope this helps you

VXR230BHP

Member +
Dump valves have been known to cause problems with engines...ie leak boost and loose power ! check all the intercooler pipework.

S1MSGTT

Member +
Thanks for the reply, mine is black plastic and has been altered to release to atmoshere (quite loud, lol). Im not losing any pressure I was just wondering if a proper bov would be better in its place as these only release after a certain psi whereas mine releases from as little as 0.1 bar (everytime you lift off). hope this makes sense to you

tbh fella until ur looking at upping boost, changing the turbo (of course with all the other supporting mods for increasing boost done first) then the standard one does the job fine as its not leaking under pressure therfore still doing its job fine.. i would only change it if you have cash to burn or u want a diff sound.. just my 2p =D

Mikey4410

Member +
I have had a dump valve leak on me before.the good thing was it was very noticable on my boost guage as showing just minus 2 on vacuum instead of minus 20.and obviously when it boosted it held virtually nothing.stripped it down and the plastic/nylon sleeve was massively worn!