standard rebuild cost

weeJohn

Lifer
Consider an oil pump and you will need new head bolts if not using ARP`s. If you are down that far, mains and rod bearings if they look worn.

Skalabala

Member +
Cylinder head complete rebuild. R1200 here by me.
Block needs hone and re-paint. R400
Crank bearings you buy 2E/4E any reputable brand :) R400
Victor Reinz complete gasket set goes for R900
Piston rings 4E/5E R250

It's a difficult one to give a rough cost, if everything is within spec and you can strip everything down yourself and rebuild it may cost £800, but if crank needs regrinding, piston rings out of spec means an over bore which leads to larger Pistons, cylinder head guides worn and need replacing, you can easily see the cost rising to 2k

dac69er

Super Moderator
Cylinder head complete rebuild. R1200 here by me.
Block needs hone and re-paint. R400
Crank bearings you buy 2E/4E any reputable brand :) R400
Victor Reinz complete gasket set goes for R900
Piston rings 4E/5E R250

prices here will be 2-3 times that at least!!!!

if the engine is decent, you do a lot of the work yourself then £1000 - £1500. that would include genuine gasket set, new oil pump, new bearings, head skim with new guides and valves/seats re-cut and block hone and skim, new rings + a few other bits and peices like thermostat etc.

its not too bad, but as above, cost can soon add up depending on the condition of the engine.

Phil

Super Moderator
sound I was just aiming at refreshing the engine but this sounds like a new engines being built.

there is at the mo a forged lump with a blow piston being sold (by Phil), the guy reckons £600 + £200 for the repairs, would it be worth going for instead of doing the above to mine?

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topi...ttom-end-going-cheap-needs-1-piston-replaced/

well taking a look from waay outside the situation, you know as an unbiased outsider :)

id say get it bought :)

Phil

dac69er

Super Moderator
sound I was just aiming at refreshing the engine but this sounds like a new engines being built.

there is at the mo a forged lump with a blow piston being sold (by Phil), the guy reckons £600 + £200 for the repairs, would it be worth going for instead of doing the above to mine?

http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topi...ttom-end-going-cheap-needs-1-piston-replaced/

It's the age old decision of where do you stop. When something is apart it's worth doing it first time round if it is a bit dodgy