Starlet Gt Van

Matt-ep82

Hi

Has anyone on this site turned there starlet into a van or know wat i need to do legally so i can tax and insure it as a van because there is huge savings to be made

Thanks

And of course rep will be added for any help

bucketep91

Member +
what wouldnt be the point? if your cars stripped out and caged then whats the need for rear windows? imo it would look good and you would be really surprised on how much it would save you on insurance, its wierd you say it i was thinking about it the other day too lol

i vote you do it lol

edit- if you find somwhere that would do it properly, i think all you would have to do is call up dvla and tell them you have converted it to a van, they update thier system and thats you

Last edited:

Beaker

Member +
If you cant afford to insure it, dont ruin the car. On the other hand, it would be different!

bucketep91

Member +
i disagree i think it would look cool if done properly, would be very different, and i dont think its the fact that he cant afford insurance but if your premium is lowered by a modification then would you grumble about it? Doubt it

i think if he done it it wouldnt just be for the insurance purpose

Craig_GT

Lifer
There was a thread on this last year or maybe even early this year, have a search :homer: its what its there for ;)

Matt-ep82

How would it ruin the car it will look the same on outside and inside would just have no back seats and be floored and carpeted. But the best bit is my insurance will drop by over 3000euro LOL

Last edited:
How would it ruin the car it will look the same on outside and inside would just have no back seats and be floored and carpeted. But the best bit is my insurance will drop by over 3000euro LOL

your insurance wont drop lad! its not like years ago, all insurance companys care about is whats under the hood!

Matt-ep82

There was a thread on this last year or maybe even early this year, have a search :homer: its what its there for ;)

Have done loads of searchs but there was nothing really on the legal side of things but (wat-da-stury) gave me a bit of info so thanks mate

Matt-ep82

your insurance wont drop lad! its not like years ago, all insurance companys care about is whats under the hood!

I'm just waitin for the letter from the insurance company to check they got everything right but they already have all the details of the car because i was already insured wit them

SupaStu

Member +
ditto, bafoon

Because in Ireland you can get commercial insurance if your car is changed to van format, no rear seats, flat floor and black out the rear/side windows.

I have a Freelander that is insured as a commercial vehicle as it has no seats in the back and a flat floorpan.

Can work out cheaper than normal insurance.

Hi

Has anyone on this site turned there starlet into a van or know wat i need to do legally so i can tax and insure it as a van because there is huge savings to be made

Thanks

And of course rep will be added for any help

F.A.O. The people who want to know the answer to "Why would you do that?!!":homer:

If it saves you money and you don't mind not having rear seats anymore then I say go for it:)

The only bit of info I can remember is that you will need to get an engineers report carried out to confirm that it is now a van and you'll have to get it weighed to iirc.