Starlet_Sam Fights the Capitalist Machine (£8 at a time!)

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
So, I'm sure a lot of you guys have imported parts from outside the EU and I'm sure almost the same number have, at some point, been charged VAT and possibly Import Duty too. We all know that when this happens we also get a lovely charge from the courier adding their little "handling fee" onto the same invoice.

Well yesterday I got such a note. I had bought a Knocklite a few weeks ago from the USA so that I could mapping my own car and it had been chosen for for such a charge. I had incurred a charge of £8.95 VAT (which I am OK with paying, not exactly happy but OK with it) and Parcelforce had added an £8 handling fee for their "services". You may have heard/read that once you pay the VAT the courier can no longer hold your parcel from you even if you don't pay the handling fee. This is because it is illegal for them to deliberately delay the delivery of post once all statutory charges are paid. The important bit here being the word statutory, basically the tax. There are 2 reasons why I refuse to accept this handling fee:

1. Their "service" is completely unsolicited. For the people out there who don't know what this means, it means that I never asked them to do any of this on my behalf. It's just like me turning up to their depot and washing a van window, then demanding they pay me any price I make up because I have provided them with a service.

2. Being charged VAT and Import Duty is a 100% reasonable thing to expect when privately importing goods. In that respect it is 100% reasonable to expect that, as the courier for such parcels, you would have to process these through Customs just like they have to process them through regional depots. As such the cost to do so should be absorbed as a business cost. You wouldn't expect (or accept) a letter through the door asking for extra money because they had to fill the lorry with diesel on the way to deliver your parcel no would you?! No, so I don't buy this either

Essentially I see this as a speculative invoice, where the sender basically bundles a fee in with the official taxes in the hopes that people pay it and shut up. I'm sick of this blatant profiteering and repectfully tell these couriers to suck my fuckin balls, I've already paid!

I decided that for the good of the community I would see what would happen if I were to refuse to pay this handling fee. I went into the collection office and from the start I made them aware I was there to pay for the VAT and the VAT only. He initially went into the back room and returned soon after to tell me that his supervisor would not release the parcel until ALL charges were paid. I told him that the law says I can and that the law is bigger than his supervisor. Again he went into the back room and returned to say that regardless of what the law said my parcel would not be released and that the £8 is actually a fee charged by customs. This is not true. Customs are there to collect taxes, they cannot charge you for taking money off you! Once more into the back room and he returned to say that yes they would release it but he wanted to warn me that HMRC would be hot on my ass and probably fine me for doing this, "I'll take the risk" I say to him.

When my parcel turns up on the desk the label stuck on it clearly states the VAT at £8.95 and below it says "Parcelforce Handling Fee - £8.00". So I say the the helpful man "see, it says right there it's for you, not customs" to which he replies with "yeah, but Parcelforce and Customs work together, it goes to Customs". I kicked the (what I take to be) bullshit away from my shoes and call his bluff, still refusing to cough up. I then leave. Every bit of paperwork now his scrawling all over it to say I haven't paid the Handling Fee.

So, to sum up, I refused to pay their charge and I walked out of there with my parcel, a threat that Her Majesty will kick my arse and a huge amount of self respect for standing up for myself (however small my stand may be).

I'll update this as it progresses, if anything happens that is!

J25GTi

Lifer
Nothing will happen, I also did this the other day!

BUT, it was from fedex, and I didn't pay customs OR their fee! I argued with the guy for 40 minutes and explained I never asked them to do this and I would not pay any of it, as I was happy to sort out customs and excise myself etc. And they never had my permission to deal with it.

He eventually relented and they paid all the fees for me.

It does pay to stand up for yourself. I always complain about stuff I'd I feel its wrong etc. And 99% of the time I win and get free stuff etc. Most people I know are too embarassed to complain about stuff, and that is where this belief from companies that they can charge you for whatever they like and you will pay it has stemmed from!

Kudos for doing it sam, its about time people stood up for themselves

gv1.3

Admin
Sam, I like to stand my ground and get caught up in sticking to my principles all the time... you however are a bollox - I now have a sliver of respect for you :D nice one

pc18

North West England Area Rep.
haha good man, i love stuff like this. i will definitely be following your advice if i get in the same situation.

i once got an import tax bill and it maybe had the courier charge with it too, i think it was around £25 for my hdi intercooler or something. they sent loads of letters but i never paid it. but the next time i tried it for something else i was threatened with court action so i decided to pay the £7 odd quid this time lol.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i cant keep my cool in these situations i would of just hurled abuse at the man behind the counter and possibly getting arrested lol , fair play for doing it though

Starlet_Sam

it's the bullyboy tactics that get me. I would imagine the majority most would cave in when told that customs would be after them.

Rory

Lifer
Your a smart mother fooker aint you? :haha:

Kudos for doing it though, as anyone else has done also, its something to keep in mind for the future.

George611

Member +
haha nice one now i know that it wont happen to me again...ordered some gauges from the US an ended up getting charged 25quid on top for handling and all that bolx i didnt know where i stood to not pay so i payed n left it :/

Starlet_Sam

I guess I should have said, by doing this there is a risk that your name at your current address will be blacklisted and if they receive anything for you they will return to sender. Not sure if this has happened to people or not though. As I'm only in my current house for a few months I don't really care.

malcolmgt

Member +
this is bliming fantastic! good read.

go the little people, we can beat these big companies tryin to mug us off!

I always do this, for ages fedex had their solicitors threatening to take me to court over their £10 fee.

Once I told them all the reasons they would loose in court and that I was more than happy to go to court they backed down and said they would be happy if I just paid the duty and vat (which i made them produce written proof from HMRC that it had been paid and was the correct amount).

Also they can't legally hold your mail if you don't pay up on one parcel.

These debt recovery solicitors firms are all the same, they send an official letter threatening court and most people pay up even if they are in the right.

Taking someone to court is expensive and getting a judgement WITH costs is difficult. Only worth doing if the amount owed is in the thousands.

Starlet_Sam

Yeah exactly, I'd be the first they've actually taken to court if they went that far. I can't see it happening.