starter motor problem

stew

Member +
Cars been sat a little while, after i charged the battery it fired up first time, now when i try to start it, all i'm hearing is the click-click-click-click of the starter motor. Is it reasonable to suspect its a problem with the starter?

J25GTi

Lifer
Battery might be naffed if its been stood for a while. As if its like a machine gun its the battery that's the problem

stew

Member +
Hmmm yeah that's what i reckoned at first lads but what i can't get my head around is how a knackered (but freshly charged) battery have been able to fire the engine up for the first time?

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
your battery wont be keepin it charge if its foobarded so if u charge it and then use it straight away it will work but as soon as u leave it a hour or 2 it wont work again coz it wont be holding the charge if u hav a multi meter take your battery inside and charge it then when it is fully charged check the voltage on a multi meter should show bout 12.6 volts leave it over nite and then reconnect multi meter and check voltage again and u will know if it knackered if it still got it charge check earth on starter motor and and also check voltage using multimeter on battery when car is running should be 14.7 volts if not then alternator has had it mate and is not chargin battery when car is running