starter motor problems

Rallye Rye

Member +
hi guys, i tried using the search button but to no avail before i get shot down, lol.

Anyhow i am having problems with the starter motor on my car, i come to turn it on and it just ticks over (du du du du du du) and the boost lights fill up on the dash but the car wont start. i later put some jump leads on the car with help from a mate and it will start but only after numerous clicks from the starter motor beforehand. im suspecting this is a solenoid problem to do with the starter, so i have ordered a new starter motor anyhow. i would just like to know if anyone has experienced this before and how easy it is to change the starter motor, i have located it but the only way i can see to take it off is to pop a driveshaft out, is this true. rep given for help guys.

cheers,

rye

Rallye Rye

Member +
i have also give it a good ol tap with a bar to free up the contacts on the starter, car started first time, then when i turned it off, it went to rat shit again.......

Sigma

Member +
Battery sounds foobed.

You get the machinegun noise from your starter when the cellunoid is engaging and disengaing quickly, because it cant begin to turn, due to lack of current.

Battery would definately be my first port of call.

I'd put money on it. :)

Rallye Rye

Member +
fair play mate, but it still struggled when i put jumpleads to it, it clicked and clicked then kicked into life.. saying that i noticed that sumtimes when i indicated and other things electrical, the lights dimmed, would that be a sign of a fucked battery?, also dashboards lights would sometimes flicker on and off on the dash.. does this seem like the fault then??:confused: