Strange engine temp readings!!

jamGTT

Member +
Hi guys,

On my way to work my engine temp went into the red, I stopped and filled up the coolant bottle. Since then my engine temp goes up to the red, back down below half and then will stay there for a while then go to 3/4 then stay there and then all the way into the red again then repeats!! any ideas????

dac69er

Super Moderator
are you loosing coolant everytime? have you checked the rad is full off water? next i would check the connections around the thermostat housing area. if that doesnt cure it then change the thermostat and go from there. if you boil up the car to that extent then often it can cause the headgasket to fail unfortunately. but it could just be something simple so try those first

jamGTT

Member +
Thanks for the reply! When i got to work the coolant was pretty much empty but only took about 1/2 litre to fill back up. not lost any water on way home, if anything there is more water :S does this help?? plus i get hot air through the vents!

dac69er

Super Moderator
if when th engine is cold and you definitely have coolant in the rad and in the bottle then i would check the thermostat next, only cost about £10-£15 to replace and its just 2 10mm nuts to undo. while your at it just check all the connectors and sensors round that area just in case. if that doesnt do it then chances are its an engine strip down job :(

Rory

Lifer
Headgasket change, but could mean engine out if the block has been warped from the over heating.

wildchild

Member +
i guess uve blown the head gasket. same thing happened on mine. temp suddenly started goin up. i started the car the next morning with the radiator cap off and noticed air bubbles comin up when at idle and more when revving. thats one way to find out if the gasket is blown.
if you continue to run with this condition, you can warp or crack the cylinder head.

btw check the reason first as to why the gasket went for a six. then start rectifying from there. mine had a slight leak for some time but was not much as to be a big issue. but now it is! :D

corofin12345

Member +
any heat through the fans at hot idle? if not its the thermostat.. before going to all lenghts stripping the engine, change the thermostat and see does it help.. no harm doing a compression test either

jamGTT

Member +
Ok guys, fitted new thermostat, run engine up to temp, fan cut in had hot air through vents on idle and left running for 20/30 mins and didn't overheat!! Fingers crossed the problems sorted!!! And a Bigger thanks to Mad Max who got in touch personally to give help and advice (but wouldn't give me a reach around ;) )