strange happenings with my boost and pulling away issues

superspat

Member +
i have reciently got my v back to gether with fmic,hks actuator and a rebuilt hybrid, the actuator is set to .8bar at the mo but the turbo spools up and sits at .5bar from 2.5k to 5k the jumps to .8 bar and holds.
am i rite in thinking its the design of the hybrid flowing more air and taking longer to hit the max boost and with a ebc will solve this, there is no boost leaks at all in the fmic pipe work and all vacum hoses have been replaced and r all good, all new turbo gaksets and runs spot on.

also when pulling away i have got to rev the car up to at least 3k or above or the revs drop rite down and nearly stalls

can any 1 shed any light on this?

turboloon

Member +
your saying your boost gaugesits at .5bar then when after 5k jumps to.8...maybe a sticky/weak accuator,either that or yer boost gauge could be fucked..shit didn't notice the bit below...i would be checking yer compression also take the air fiter side off from the turbo and check for play in the shaft,i was having simiar problems with my car stalling i got told to check the turbo and the shaft had a lot of movement on it!!!

Last edited:

superspat

Member +
Turbo was rebuild by crturbos and they tested the actuator and both r 100% comression is 151accross all 4 cylinders. Tried diff boost yauge and exactly the same. Ajusted actuator andboth ways and dose the same will stay low intill 5k them boost jumps up. All a bit strange

x-MissEp82-x

Member +
i had this problem with mine when i let some idiot take it and put another engine in after mine blew. It will only go at really high revs and boost? feels like its wellllllll slow untill you hit 3k rev and then suddenly you get the turbo kick in. Its a nightmare and i know what it feels like. have you checked the actual turbo high/low valve? also check nothing is missing from your engine cos when i got mine back it was lacking something to do with the vacuum and turbo.... Im sure yours is all there still just make sure you have a look and dont notice anything dodgy, good luck! x

superspat

Member +
Dont know what turbo it is. It came as a spare and got it rebuilt. Was reading the thread the other and thought I would check but its not catching.

superspat

Member +
any 1 got any other ideas, checked every thing today and nothing is leaking and car is working as it should, but its still sat at .5bar from 2500rpm and once hit 5000rpm it the boost jumps up to .8 and hold there

here is the currant spec of the car just incase that helps
hybrid turbo
hks actuator set at .8bar
small fmic core and custom s/s pipe work
bmc cda induction kit coming of the turbo
ported manifold
decat
hks cat back exhaust
walbro 255 fuel pump
ngk iridiums
uprated plugs
are the engine mods at the mo to the car

superspat

Member +
i have totaly removed the standard boost solionid and unpluged it before the problem started and fitted the turbo, could that have any thing to do with it the strange boosting?

-BenGTTurbo-

Member +
Crack in wastegate ? Crack in manifold ? Exhaust blowing ? I had a similar problem and it turned out that my actuator was weak. I even had this tested at a so called performance garage and they told me that it was all fine.. I got a new Actuator anyway and it sorted mine out.

superspat

Member +
i got to try and find the standard solionoid but cant see it will make much diffrence as it wont make a diffrence past .6bar or what ever the standard boost is, the wastegate is cracked but then what ct9 has not got a crack in it, lol, its a ported standard mani so not cracked at all and all new gaskets on turbo,mani and down pipe, the actuator was test at the place that built my hybrid called crturbos and have built me a number of turbos so i dont think its the actuator

I live near Bashley mate and work in Brockenhurst. but my mate also has a starlet think it's a 94 but he had some white slipstreams and had some issues so he's got some black shitty wheels on atm.

i've got a 1992 ep with 14" wedsports on. ill look out for your V! :)

superspat

Member +
i meet ur mate asked him in the pizza place if he had a turbo gasket kicking around,lol, is he selling the wheels? will keep a look for you, do you every go up to matchams on the wendesday nights?

ah right, yeah in fanelli's, haha i used to work in there.. legend place! :) and nah i don't think so but ill ask him if you want.

- and i think i remember another guy on here asking about some gaskets and it was like 50 quid, so he ended up just getting some gasket material and cutting his own.. but think that was for the manifold. not sure if you could do that.

- and nah never been, is it like a meet or something then?

superspat

Member +
Yea if u could ask him would be grand mate, I ended getting both the mani gaskets from toyota and a turbo-decat from a lad on here, if u search fb for modified matchams its on there, but any 1 can take there car out on the oval track but its mainly drifters on there and a show, its always a good turn out and loads of local people which is cool, its on this wed and every other wed and cost £3 to get in, its a cheap nite out and dont have to worry about the police ether

weeJohn

Lifer
The issue with it stalling when pulling off and the boost could be related. I would check over some electrical things, make sure the earth on the inlet mani is good, the tps is set correctly and the base timing is ok.

Does it idle ok?

superspat

Member +
im gonna make a new earthing kit for the car as some of them are not the best, is there a how to set the tps correctly and have not checked the timing but trying to get hold of gun and try and do it

yea it idles ok, the vaucm on idle has gone up a tiny bit, its just when pulling away the revs drop rite down and need to rev it around 2,5k to be able to pull away or launch it when pulling away