strange knocking that's not a cv joint???

matt walters

Member +
Hi guys

had this problem ever since putting my car back on the road. it had 2 new outer cvs and 2 new track rod ends as well as an anti lift kit.

The noise occurs when turning left and comes from the drivers side of car.

I assumed it was a dodgey cv so swapped it for a new one again but problem remains.

Any idea of what to look for? Its a very similar noise to a broken cv joint.

is it possible that the inner one could be broken and is transferring the noise over when turning?

Thanks Matt

matt walters

Member +
Yeah i have an lsd but it hasn't changed in performance at all since the knocking began.

I assume the top mounts are ok but how would i check this?

Ted

Member +
if youve changed the gearbox oil and not used right type of oil it will make a noise like a bad cv.(clutch type ones)

studoc72

Member +
CV joints click mate they dont knock. Is it a knock or a click? knock could be : Broken spring, worn top mount, worn ball joint worn arm bushes, gearbox mount or worst case could be your diff knocking.

Is it definatly when turning and not when going over bump? Go out and jack up the front end of your car so both wheels are off the ground. Give them a good check for play. Lie underneath with a pry bar and check everything you can.

Texx

Super Moderator
had this problem ever since putting my car back on the road. it had an anti lift kit.

Check the clearance between the anti roll bar and the lower arm, I had a similar problem after fitting the Whiteline ALK. Installing spacer plates above the roll bar bushes to lower the position of the bar solved the problem.

matt walters

Member +
Can't really see it being the diff as it started thesecond i drove the car. its not happened over say a period of a week so Im assuming its something that I've changed like the alk or something