Strange noise at 60mph

pogo29

Fresh Recruit
Hello, please bear with me as i have never owned a turbo car before.
i have recently bought a 1996 glanza, it is completely standard under the bonnet. if i drive at 60mph or over there is a "psssst" noise coming from somewhere about every second or so. because of road and engine noise i cant figure out where its from. Any help or advice is welcome.

thanks,

paul.

ryandavis

Banned
its your (standard) recirculating valve man, its like a dumpvalve, & its like a hizzing noise/ shhhshhh noise, & it should happen wen reducing pressure on ur accelerator!!

sound right??

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
its your (standard) recirculating valve man, its like a dumpvalve, & its like a hizzing noise/ shhhshhh noise, & it should happen wen reducing pressure on ur accelerator!!

sound right??

i'd agree with that, the standard recirculating valve gets a bit tired, mine was leaking a good bit and i was getting the same noise changed it for an after market one and the noise went.

pogo29

Fresh Recruit
Thanks guys, i just bought the car so i dont think my wife would be too impressed if i went and spent more money on a dump valve! is there any way of repairing the existing one?

ryandavis

Banned
glanzarecirculat.jpg

if u follow from were it says turbo in the engine, den run ur eyes down the pipe coming from the left handside of it, at the bottom of the big bit of rubber/piping (not the hole pipe now just the rubber bit in the middle of the black pipe) left to it is a little black circular type thing (at the very left of the rocker cover @ the bottom yeh). thats the recirculating valve dude!!

the valve is suposed to make the noise man, should be a smooth enuf sound no? anyway the noise is a good thing, shows the valve is wrking yano. unless its iregular noise which im guessing its NOT dude to ur post secription,

Last edited:

pogo29

Fresh Recruit
thanks guys, you have been very helpful, it seems i may be a little paranoid because i have wanted a glanza for years and i dont want it to go wrong.
been stung once, bought a r32 skyline gts, it blew a hole as big as your fist through the engine block!! it bled its oil and guts all over the A6.