Stripped interior - MOT problems?

huwr

Member +
I have a caged GT completely stripped out with only the dash and a drivers seat/harness fitted inside. It is currently off road and will hopefully be used as a track only car but may need the odd day on public roads.

I was wondering if there are any MOT regulations that having a bare interior might cause problems with, for example exposed metal edges, perspex windows and having no door cards...

Also are there any other MOT/insurance issues with having a completely stripped interior?

Apologies if this in the wrong section.

thanks!

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i think you will be ok as long as there are no sharp exposed metal parts poking out where the driver or passenger may injure themselves on in an accident. as for the rest of the interior, it doesnt matter. i know of a few people with no interior bar the dash itself.

think it depends on the tester too

jamesbaa

Member +
I have a caged GT completely stripped out with only the dash and a drivers seat/harness fitted inside. It is currently off road and will hopefully be used as a track only car but may need the odd day on public roads.

I was wondering if there are any MOT regulations that having a bare interior might cause problems with, for example exposed metal edges, perspex windows and having no door cards...

Also are there any other MOT/insurance issues with having a completely stripped interior?

Apologies if this in the wrong section.

thanks!

I know insurance will put up your premium if you tell them about the cage, and its not cheap dude!

Also my car Passed its MOT with cage, 2 front bucket seats and 6 point harnessess

AzE_B

Member +
I know insurance will put up your premium if you tell them about the cage, and its not cheap dude!

Also my car Passed its MOT with cage, 2 front bucket seats and 6 point harnessess

your just lucky you have mates in the right places

huwr

Member +

Insurance will be informed of the modifications, just wanted to check it would pass mot before insuring it :p

thanks

danb87

South East England Area Rep
one of my mates has a cage in his rsturbo, he got pulled over the police told him that his roll cage was not on his insurance as a mod, he looked into it as he was givin a 1 week producer before he was issued 3 points, when he spoke too the insurance company they told him that it doesn have too be declared as its a bolt in cage, you only have too declare it if its welded in.

so when he gave the infomation too the police he was let off.

i dont know if this is wrong an the police are stupid or what but either way he was a lucky boy.

as for the mot it should pass fine, as aze b said aslong as theres nuffin sharp pointin out on the outside should go through fine.

dan

When you remove the rear bench is your car not then classed as a 2 seater?

If insurance is not notified of this (declared) does it void your insurance?

Joz