struggerling to get in to 1st and 2nd gear

abbott

Member +
Right this is for help on my brothers car recently we have forged the car and when everything was put in and started it and took it for its 1st drive the exedy paddle clutch had a rattle and ah=nd struggled to get in to gear so ended up pulling the box off and finding the exedy padel centre core has fell apart so that was £300 down the drain (this clutch was fine before we forged and took apart) so we ordered a 6 puk spec clutch from tuning developments and now fiited this 250 miles down the road he is having issues with geting in to 1st and 2nd gear going up and down the gears ( you really have to force it in to gear but its not grinding it in to gear)., 3rd,4th, 5th are fine.

things we have tried

1) bled the clutch hyro system

2) checked and rotated sugar cube

3) gear box oil level checked

4) inspected slave cylinder

5) checked cables

spoke to friends and are only thing we can think of now is the sycro 1st and 2nd.

can any one advice on anything else we may have over looked

weeJohn

Lifer
Did you check all the bolts holding the box to the block are still tight and pushing in the clutch is not pushing the block and box apart rather than the clutch in?

Also the slave cylinder can still look like it works ok but if there is a bad seal inside it can be not moving its full stroke.

russyb

Member +
I had simular problem, check the square cube (sugar cube) underneath the gear selector on top of the gearbox mine had come out and couldnt select 1st and second

abbott

Member +
Well last night i have stripped the gearbox down and found nothink worn but 2nd and 1st gear are stiff on the shaft to slide in place no signs or wear on the syncro so a bit lost now what it could be

abbott

Member +
right guys my brothers car has still got this problem
what i have tried and done since the last post

1) tried my spare gear box
2) new slave cylinder
3) new cables
4) changed shifter
5) bought a gearbox with trd lsd in in 100% working perfectly as test drove the car before buying it (this old box had a Kazz lsd in and nothink wrong with that)
6) new shifter bushs
7) selctor on box

this is starting to get me really down and its not my car this has been going on since end of febuary and my brother has spent just over £1000 tring to sort this.

can any one help or advise any more things i can try?

Rory

Lifer
Sounds like the cables to me.. I know you have checked them but double check them by taking them out the car and making sure there free.
Are the cables on the right way round at the box?

abbott

Member +
Sounds like the cables to me.. I know you have checked them but double check them by taking them out the car and making sure there free.
Are the cables on the right way round at the box?

Hi Rory

i Checked the old cables and i have replaced them now with new and yes they are the right way round.

Spoke to my boss at work hes thoughts are that it could be clutch drag because if you blip the throttle on chnaging up or down the gears it is slightly easier

BallıGee

Member +
Was these test carried out
6c2ad635.jpg

Texx

Super Moderator
having issues with geting in to 1st and 2nd gear going up and down the gears ( you really have to force it in to gear but its not grinding it in to gear)., 3rd,4th, 5th are fine.

Can you select 1st and 2nd without any issues when stationary and with the engine off?

Is the problem still apparent when stationary with the engine running?

With both front wheels raised off the ground and the engine running, can you select 1st and 2nd without any issues?

Has the flywheel been refaced?

How much end float does the crankshaft have when gently levering the crankshaft pulley away from the engine?

abbott

Member +
That sounds like the syc is not matching the two gears at the correct speed

why would 2 gear boxs do the same and there fine in the cars before and not have this problem. using 75w 90 syn 5 oil as recommended and always used and never had this prob.

abbott

Member +
Can you select 1st and 2nd without any issues when stationary and with the engine off?

Is the problem still apparent when stationary with the engine running?

With both front wheels raised off the ground and the engine running, can you select 1st and 2nd without any issues?

Has the flywheel been refaced?

How much end float does the crankshaft have when gently levering the crankshaft pulley away from the engine?

no fine on stand still .

with both front wheels up i nthe air its fine if i rememeber.

the flywheel was skimmed with the old exedy clutch but not with the spec clutch.

not sure about end float chap.

Texx

Super Moderator
no fine on stand still .

with both front wheels up i nthe air its fine if i rememeber.

Does seem like a clutch drag issue then.

the flywheel was skimmed with the old exedy clutch but not with the spec clutch.

If the flywheel wasn't refaced as accurately as it should have, the clutch may not be completely disengaging.

Seems like you've already checked/replaced everything else that may be causing the issue, I'd be inclined to pull the box back off and check the condition of the clutch. Look for any burn marks that may indicate the clutch has been slipping and also check that there's no contact between the flywheel bolts and friction disc. I'd also be inclined, whilst it's all apart, to fit a good condition stock flywheel that hasn't been machined.