stub axle variations

jezza

Lifer
Had the alignment on my gt done this week and the garage reckon my rear passenger stub axle is bent upwards slightly.

When I got the car, the whole axle was bent so although the axle was replaced, the stub is still bent.

Would a UK starlet stub axle fit or are they different for drum/disc brakes.

riko666

Member +
The stubs didn't vary, only the mounting flange of the stubs, which created a variation in rear track between the cars - using an n/a axle will be fine

riko666

Member +
wasnt it rory that said the rear stub axles are welded to the beam?

They are, but the stub has a sort of flange "base", which varies in thickness between axles - from 5mm to 10mm, creating a track difference of 10mm between axles

jezza

Lifer
I've already replaced the axle with a NA axle. If the stubs are welded to the beam, I can't understand why my tracking is still out. Unless the NA axle is slightly bent.

ALaN

Member +
Surely they must be seperable if you fitted a uk axle jez? Don't think you can get uk specs with discs and drums wouldn't have a stub axle like ours, the drum bolts to the axle itself. Maybe the guy didn't change your axle at all lol

I do remember rory sayin about them being a one piece job mind you.

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
They are interchangeable as people have swapped on disc components a myriad of times - you must've been unlucky enough to have another bent axle in that case!