Stumped on oil filter removal!

clys

Member +
So guys, I finally took shipment of the new starlet, and I tried performing an oil change on it, but I absolutely cannot gain access to the filter. I know I need the tool shown in the tutorial, but I cannot find one here!

Does anyone know where I can get one? I feel like a knob sending it in for an oil change, I'd like to do it myself.

Thanks guys, for those curios as to how she looks, pics are here:
http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t210/clyson6969/Starlet/

Enjoy guys, and thanks for any help!

Clyson

GTti

Member +
1) Remove the plastic under tray
2) Remove the air con pump (4 bolts)
3) Remove the oil filter drip tray (2 bolts)
4) Easy access to filter.

Easier than it sounds.

D3N0

Member +
or if you dont use A/C at all, just remove it. then you will have much more room at the front were you can just lay your hand on it and twist. you even relocate ur air filter to the front. very nice GT by the way.

Texx

Super Moderator
Buy the tool
Use a ratchet and 4" extension bar
Remove the splash gaurd
Remove the filter

5 minute job with the right tools.

Gilly2006

Member +
and if your really struggling the screwdriver in the side of it and drag it round but ONLY do it as a last resort!! buy the proper tools rly is the best advice.

tom_hunt

Member +
I jack the front end up and take the drivers side wheel off as you can get a real good veiw then. Stick the oil filter cup on it and hay presto all done! Really easy!

Tom

Sigma

Member +
You just need the right filter cup.

Sure there's a tutorial mentioning it on here somewhere.

You certainly don't need to remove the aircon pump :S

Tommy :D

clys

Member +
Thanks guys!

But I know I need the tool, I just CANT get one! They aren't available at parts stores, only at toyota dealerships, and even then, they don't sell them, only the mechanics use them.

If I remove the aircon, then I will need a non-air conditioning belt, right? Ah, more wait times!

clys

Member +
when you guys say "a/c pump" do you guys mean the a/c compressor?? or another part?

Hahah, so long ago, this was when I first got my EP, sad to see she's up for sale now...

Anyways, yes we mean the pump as in A/C compressor, same thing. :)

93starletgt

Member +
Just saw that! Got one on order right now!

How long 'till it gets to canada, I wonder.

Oh well, I will remove the AC pump to access it for now.

Hahah, so long ago, this was when I first got my EP, sad to see she's up for sale now...

Anyways, yes we mean the pump as in A/C compressor, same thing. :)

lol thanks! I live in the U.S and we use some different words! (and I am actually from Italy you know... sometimes I get confused :)