Subwoofer help needed

Sick_Jack

Fresh Recruit
Ok - bit of a strange head scratcher here.............

Basically, had the first sub for nearly 12 years closely followed by the second and the amp around 9 years. So I suppose I have a little sentimental value for them all.

When I first wired them up all those years ago and in various different cars, they worked good, gave all I needed them to do and where reliable. I then wired them up to a new MDF table type (non) enclosure in 2 different cars, with the idea of using the whole boot as the enclosure and it was if they sprang to life. Lots of heavy base and crisp sound.

Now I have the Starlet, I decided to start with the stereo. Same head unit all the way through the years. I made enclosures on both sides of the rear of the boot, not sealed but pointing towards the center of the boot. I am back to a very low sound coming from them and even at 3/4 gain, just feel as though they are struggling.

I have tried everything, new earth points changed all cables, power, remote, RCA cable and still the same. Even went back to my 'shelf' - anybody have any idea on what to do next?????????????

Much appreciated.

boschmann PCH 4480LX
Gigh Curr:power BI Polar VMOS DFET
4/3/2 Bridgable

Kenwood KFC-WS302 750W

Kenwood KFC-W3003 12"

dark_knight

Member +
sealed or ported..?

you kinda lost me there. do you currently have a sealed or (band-pass) ported enclosure for your sub that you are complaining is sounding low..?

Sick_Jack

Fresh Recruit
At the moment, its a half sealed boxes. As I said, I had them on a 'shelf' which left them to be free air and had a nice low bass to them. They are not free air subs but worked well. I am not convinced that it is to do with the air flow. The sound coming out of them makes them like normal speakers and not subwoofers!?!?!

Sick_Jack

Fresh Recruit
What to do????????? Re wire the whole lot again and keep the faith in my babys or buy 2 more new ones????????????????????

Sick_Jack

Fresh Recruit
Thank you to everyone who offered advise. After turning my new MDF holders into more of an enclosure - much more to do still though :p, I wired it all up to see what difference it made. The 'tinny' noise had started to go and bass seemed to making an attempt at coming through :)

Then, for whatever reason it was, I lifted the bonnet and had a look at the power cable. Low and behold - the connecter to the battery had stated to come loose. Re-attached and crimped and I now have the antique 12" subs booming again!!!!!!