T mobile G1 Or I phone?????

Monkfish

Member +
I have one.

It's a good phone in its own right and the full QWERTY board is quite handy. You need to be a bit careful with the screen flipped out, I get the impression it wouldn't take much force to snap it off. Battery life is shocking on it if you play with it a lot or use it to play music (It has 2GB internal memory as standard). I charge mine every night although I can get the battery to last 2 days if I don't use the phone at all. There are an absolute fuckload of apps available for it too. Some are shit, some are very good. The camera is fucking useless when it starts to get dark too as there is no flash at all on it.

You should be able to get it on a decent package these days, I'm paying £40/month for mine although that is unlimited texts and internet usage and 800 minutes and I took that out last December.

Get one in black if you do at all. The white looks tacky and the bronze/brown just looks like a slice of shit.

:)

glanzaj03

Member +
i don't think there is a comparison to be honset imo, i phone is far superior but to be fair i have only had a quick look at the g1 so maybe i'm being a bit harsh. i worked in a phone shop for 4 years and since the i phone was launched i've heard mostly good things about it. all i'd say is just go to a shop and ask for a demo on both handsets and spend as long as you need having a good look through each phones features and then make your decision from there. i think t-mobile may still have a no returns policy so make sure you make the right decision and ask about returns policy's etc before you decide.

monkfish: you can probably offer better advice on the g1, have you used an i phone ? if so, how do you compare it to the g1 ?

good luck anyway and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

djurny

Member +
g1 is a neat phone.. it does eat batteries for breakfast (brunch, lunch and dinner too).. it works perfectly with all your google accounts, i must say a very pleasant experience coming from a m$ windows mobile platform..
iphone works just as great, also not a long-lasting phone if you use wifi and 3g very often..
if you tweak your g1 to not use gps/wifi/3g/data services in the background all the time, people say they can get 2 or more days from their battery if they only use it as a phone :D
there are larger batteries available for the g1, they come with a modified back cover and boast 2400mah or more instead of the standard 1250/1400mah..
some things that still do not work on the g1 (dont know if they work out-of-the-box on the iphone though) are
- obex transfer to and from phone
- copy/paste from webpages
- appstore: no working turn-by-turn navigation app available (yet)

just my $0.02 :)

simonjp

Member +
well i just went and got an i phone testerday. they are the bollocks.

i think it will be far better when the new software comes out :)

cheers peeps.

AdDaMan

Member +
you made the right decision mate, trust me.

I used to get a new phone every 2-3months, but since getting the i phone 3g last year i havent even wanted a different phone whatsoever and wouldnt even consider it now.
They work so perfectly, unlike any other.

Cant wait till the new one comes out in june, im having that aswell!

rb69

Member +
Just been looking at the G1 and it looks really good. I'm not completely sold on the iPhone. Ideally I would have the Nokia n97 but its not out yet and looks like its not gonna be cheap!

druff11

Fresh Recruit
Go for the iPhone man jus for the shere amount of uses it has! I have 1 and I can honestly say it's Neva missed a beat it so user friendly an d added bonus of a 16gb memory f ya go for it means u can av as mush music an podcasts as ya want!

Gee

Member +
iPhone for the win.

So many App's out there now due to the App store and with the new summer update its going to be killer!

Monkfish

Member +
monkfish: you can probably offer better advice on the g1, have you used an i phone ? if so, how do you compare it to the g1?
A mate of mine has an iPhone, it certainly seems to run well and I don't recall him having any issues with it, although I've never used it so I couldn't really compare living with the two.

- obex transfer to and from phone
Obex transfer? tehfuck is that? If it is transfering files/photo's by USB, it works on mine and seems to be very quick. :)

Matchew

Member +
G1 all the way I'm using it to do this reply super fast internet get a wifi signal near enough anywhere and some funny apps and games for when your on the shitter at work :)

rb69

Member +
Had a look at both of these yesterday and thought fuck it, bought neither of them! Ordered the Nokia N97 instead!

1nsan3

Member +
i'v had an iphone for 6 mths now and wouldnt want anything else really, the key to getting the most out of an iphone is to jailbreak it and install cydia from that point on your laughing. I am able to send and receive stuff via bluetooth with no issues now and i am also able to send and receive mms txts which you cant currently doon standard firmware but i believe the new 3.0 firmware will address this issue, as for apps well what other phone can offer you sat nav that works, along with a dyno app which if the information is entered correctly the results are surprisingly accurate( tested on 3 different cars and all were within 5hp of what the last dyno readings were). iu could go on and on but i wont