T3/T4 Turbo

GTnomez

Member +
How well do these turbos go on Starlets?

Ive done a fair amount of research and PM'd a few people with no avail but do i need to be looking at a specific one with certain A/R?

My starlet is 5e currently with a VF24 on one of wepr's kit, im looking to change and at least hit 300 or so. Im hoping these turbos will do me well as my other option was a GT28rs but that is an expensive turbo, lol.

Ive read and compressor housing A/R .42 and Exhaust housing of .36 would be ideal but i have no idea where to look for these.

Help please.

:)

Texx

Super Moderator
You'd be better looking at a TD05-18G than a T3/T4 turbo. The TD05 will bolt onto your current setup and should be able to flow 350HP at 1.8bar.

GP82

Member +
I would have thought the VF24 would produce 300hp at the flywheel, no...? Easiest route would be what Texx has reccommended as you already have the manifold and downpipe to suit.

Sparky

Member +
Was going to say it hardly worth changing your setup to hit 300 when a td05 or a bigger vf series could do the job.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
What the fellas above are saying makes sense, no point changing your entire setup.

I have a T3/4 turbo on mine, a bit bigger than what you mentioned but it is a nice piece of kit, makes over 300 at 0.7bar :p

GTnomez

Member +
You'd be better looking at a TD05-18G than a T3/T4 turbo. The TD05 will bolt onto your current setup and should be able to flow 350HP at 1.8bar.

I was looking at the TD05's but something is swaying me off it. Im not sure what it is though, maybe because i would prefer to move away from the generic TD's? I know it may not make sense to be honest but if it doesn turn out that the T series will be too much for my setup then i may have to go that route.

I would have thought the VF24 would produce 300hp at the flywheel, no...? Easiest route would be what Texx has reccommended as you already have the manifold and downpipe to suit.

See, from using the search function ive read that some of the VF turbos cant handle x amount of boost or what not, and i want a long term turbo which i cant boost high when i get a bit greedy.

Was going to say it hardly worth changing your setup to hit 300 when a td05 or a bigger vf series could do the job.

Honestly, i have no problem at all changing the setup, i dont really see it has a big problem as selling the current kit will cover the cost to be honest but i completely understand what your saying though, would save alot of hassle. B)

What the fellas above are saying makes sense, no point changing your entire setup.

I have a T3/4 turbo on mine, a bit bigger than what you mentioned but it is a nice piece of kit, makes over 300 at 0.7bar :p

No why did you have to go and say that? I know my set-up isnt as extensive as yours (probs why your getting high HP) but it is a suitable turbo for the starlet?

Lets forget i mentioned about the VF, would the T3 be a nice turbo to go with? Like spooling times etc. Where would i find the turbo i mentioned.

In all honestly, the Godzilla kit is whats really attracting me and its looks way too awesome (form over function?lolol). Although i need to know if this setup is suitable for what i want. I dont really know how these turbos are like, or cant find any reviews from people who own starlets with them beacuse the search fucntion is quite gash. Am i right this is what most honda turbos go with?

Cheers for the replies guys B)

Texx

Super Moderator
I was looking at the TD05's but something is swaying me off it. Im not sure what it is though, maybe because i would prefer to move away from the generic TD's?

Not exactly a cheap option, but maybe a VF34 could be a contender?

GTnomez

Member +
^ Price seems similar to these GT28r's. Not sure how they go? Am i right in saying thats what Ted runs? Dont they push everything out of alignment being physically bigger?

The most efficient way would be going for the Td05 20g as you mentioned but damn Sacha and his Godzilla kit :'(

Cheers Texx

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The Godzilla kit is a nice piece of kit, I had my eye on one for a while also!

It all comes down to how you want to drive your car and just how much lag your prepared to live with. The turbo on mine is massive and comes in strong around 5000rpm and has 2.1-2.5bar by 5300rpm so its quite an aggresive ramp up in power at that point, I'm sure with a smaller Compressor than what I run you could have it spooling at 4000rpm and still have the option of going up to 400hp.

GTnomez

Member +
I really hates this damn decision making. Ultimately it will be a weekend toy with the odd track day with friends and some 1/4 miles so it wont be a dedicated dragster.

I really like the Godzilla because its soo tasty but im still not sure if the T series would be ideal. If its looking to be a 'wait till 4/5k before the turbo pulls your face off' then i dont know how that will ride against what i want. I know there are alot of T turbos available and i might even find the right one but i dont know where to start, lol.

The A/R i mentioned, is that what i should be looking for?

Texx

Super Moderator
Ive read and compressor housing A/R .42 and Exhaust housing of .36 would be ideal but i have no idea where to look for these.

The A/R i mentioned, is that what i should be looking for?

I would expect a T3 .36 ass end to flow a maximum of around 220-230hp, after that it'd probably be too restrictive to allow the engine to make more power.

A T3/T4 with .58 cold side and a .48 hot side maybe more suitable for what your aiming at, but I'm no turbo expert.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Some sound suggestions from Texx. My turbo is a .71 cold side and .48 hot side so as has been said, swapping the compressor from my .71 to something smaller would be best.

That said, the TD05 route will do what you want and for not alot of money too.

GTnomez

Member +
Oh gosh! Now i seriously dont know what to do, lol.

Im going to look for turbos with the A/R you mentioned Texx. The cheaper way would be just got for a td05 but everyone does that (i guess because its tried and tested). The slightly more expensieve route would go the t3 route with the Godzilla which looks epic.

Its really doing myhead in now, i would love the look of a godzilla kit under the bonnet and not the same ol td04 kit (no offence to wepr). But would it be a good choice.

Is it right to say a tdo5 would spool quicker and can hit 300 easy? And a t3/t4 will be a bit laggy but pack a punch?

Cheers

(totally forgot about rep! UKSC for you) reppd guys B)

Texx

Super Moderator
If it were me, I'd be looking at trying something like this click first before swapping the whole setup. There's no need to spend big money on a TD05, get a cheap one and try it, if doesn't do what you want then you've not lost much.

GTnomez

Member +
^ The problem with that is the wepr kit i have now hasnt even been used, if i used it and to try a turbo out then it will reflect on price when i sell it whereas i could easily get back what i paid for it if i dont use it, lol.

It does sound like i might be making it difficult for myself but i dont want to follow the generic starlet td04/05.

Its a shame that i cant find many reviews on how a t3/4 performs on a starlet, the honda guys like em so there must be something in for them. How do i search on here for t3?

Cheers Texx n spudd, youve been a good help.

given your current set up...you could just stick to vf/td series turbos
there are a ton of options out there that can get you 300hp and more...vf30, 34, 22, etc. td05, td05 hybrids, etc

it just depends how you want your car to drive and its intended purpose

GTnomez

Member +
given your current set up...you could just stick to vf/td series turbos
there are a ton of options out there that can get you 300hp and more...vf30, 34, 22, etc. td05, td05 hybrids, etc

it just depends how you want your car to drive and its intended purpose

Well, i would like to know whats the drivability of a starlet with a T3 with the A/R texx mentioned.

Search all posts for 't3t4' it should return some results.

Yeah i did that, i thought there was another incase i missed any topics.

Texx

Super Moderator
Well, i would like to know whats the drivability of a starlet with a T3 with the A/R texx mentioned.

Sheldon is/was using a T3 from a Sierra Cosworth IIRC so maybe worth asking, the turbine housing may be larger than .48 though. I would think you'd be looking at a similar size to what the RST boys would call a stage 3 T34 hybrid.