tappets..& oil

toyotagt

Member +
ah thanks.. there is a small rattle that sounds like that.. would re-shimming sort it?where i get them? is there a set size?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
before re-shimming have a look to see if when the cams had been tensioned & aligned, that the spring on the cam gear was done propperly.. as that could very well cause a rattly (sp!) top end.

kon

J25GTi

Lifer
before re-shimming have a look to see if when the cams had been tensioned & aligned, that the spring on the cam gear was done propperly.. as that could very well cause a rattly (sp!) top end.

kon[/so how do you retension the cams?

MentaLEP91

Member +
well best oil to use depends on whats the specifications of the engine, the specifications of the oil, the outside weather, the driving style, lots of parameters.

As i think, Toyota suggested 10w30-10w40 fully synthetic oil
Im using Eneos 0w50 fully synth with great results

Sigma

Member +
10W40 or 15W50 in the UK climate, really.

And ALWAYS Fully Synthetic.

As for your rattle, Sean, has it started doing it all of a sudden? Or since a rebuild? Or...?

If you've had the camshafts out and replaced them without retensioning the inlet cam gear, then this will be your issue.

Yamaha heads don't really suffer from top end oil loss unless the engine has had an entirely piss poor service record.

Need to really know when it begun doing it to take it any further, dude. :)

toyotagt

Member +
10W40 or 15W50 in the UK climate, really.

And ALWAYS Fully Synthetic.

As for your rattle, Sean, has it started doing it all of a sudden? Or since a rebuild? Or...?

If you've had the camshafts out and replaced them without retensioning the inlet cam gear, then this will be your issue.

Yamaha heads don't really suffer from top end oil loss unless the engine has had an entirely piss poor service record.

Need to really know when it begun doing it to take it any further, dude. :)

well.. its jus a standard engine.. was in it since i have it.. not loud, always serviced, jus thought i would get it done to have it smoother..

dac69er

Super Moderator
you dont need fully synthetic. probably best to use semi rather than fully unless you have a fully rebuilt forged engine.