TD04 Arrived...Oil Seals Gone??

ginor

Member +
Basically as the title says. There is oil in the exhaust side housing and a tiny bit in the compressor side in the pipe for the intercooler, but only a very little...like a smudge.

Just wondering if they have gone since I won't be putting it on the car for another month or so. Since there is no shaft play at all, i'd rebuild it before I put it on instead of finding out when its on the seals have gone.

the seals may not be gone
it may just have leaked out oil because there is no pressure on the seals anymore
or the person oiled it up before putting it down (to keep things lubed)

but there is no real way to know for sure at this time,,,ask the person u got it from if u can

ibz

Member +
as said above. mine had oil around the exhaust housing, but the seals are fine, it doesnt smoke at all. think it may just have leaked past after lying on its side for a while

Sigma

Member +
When they've been sitting for a while, the oil seeps out.

Also, turbo seals are never fully functional, until the turbocharger is upto temperature.

In the 70's and 80's when mass produced turbocharged cars were coming into market, it was usual for them to smoke and in some cases quite badly, until operating temperature was acheived.

ginor

Member +
Wicked cheers guys. That's what I was thinking that it may have just had some left over in the unit itself and it's just came out in the post. Thought i'd pop the question up just in case.

Cheers :beer: