td04 conversion 1st gear

KING-EP82

Member +
just spoke to one of my mates told him im going to do a td04 conversion but he started sayimg that it womt be as fast on the launch and in 2nd gear as the stock ct9 turbo, wanted to know is this accurate because he said the smaller the turbo the more boost, are these things accurate will there be any turbo lag with the td04 thanks

turboloon

Member +
i don't have full boost(1 bar)until just under 4k...so compared to a ct9 they're a bit more laggier...but when it comes on boost it certainly puts a smile on my face!!!

Guye

Lifer
The ct9 will have the edge in the low-low/mid rpm range with it's quicker spoolup. The TD04 will be superior from the mid-high rpms. To be honest, if you reseach some of the older turbo discussions, you will find that it's not uncommon for a TD04L 13G to be fitted and tweeked via a good electronic boost controller to greatly reduce the turbo lag. Having driven both setups I would say the TD04 allowed for smoother (if not boring) low rpm off boost cruising while the power was easily available once the throttle is opened or you shift down a gear. The TD04 will be more powerful at the same boost pressure as the ct9 (1bar for e.g) because the smaller ct9 generates more heat to create higher boost levels & has a physically smaller compressor housing. This results in a less dense charge at a lower cubit foot per minute (airflow rate). At the same 1bar of pressure the TD04 will create a cooler, denser charge while moving a greater volume of air into the engine, creating more power.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
im fully forged with a td04l as mentoned with a gizzmo ebc and EMU ecu, im hitting a bar at 3.6 k revs to 3.8k revs, and 1.2 to 1.3 bar on a cold night at roughly 4k.

as ktl says once u get grip at the boost levels im running on a td04 u b long gone.
and from 3k onwards u can feel the boost slowly come in on a td04 but by time u hit 4k, u will be going a hell of a lot faster then a ct9.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
you must have the record for putting up the most threads about practically the same subject :p:p

ryan-11

Member +
i would say it would be down to the driver, the lag on a td04 is next to nothing when gunning it from 1st gear.

a td05 aint too laggy either :D

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
well i wouldnt mind knowing about td05 and boost and revs etc.

but like u say ryan td04 isnt as laggy as people make out, when u consider the power.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i would say it would be down to the driver, the lag on a td04 is next to nothing when gunning it from 1st gear.

a td05 aint too laggy either :D

not sure did i ask you im after asking as many people as possible so i forget lol

what boost you running ,what to you get full boost at and what hp you make

the 3 famous questions :rockon::rockon:

ryan-11

Member +
not sure did i ask you im after asking as many people as possible so i forget lol

what boost you running ,what to you get full boost at and what hp you make

the 3 famous questions :rockon::rockon:

Im just on .8 bar the now but when mapped it will be running 1.8 bar and upping the rev limit to whatever the turbo stops making power. not really look at what revs its at when it hits .8 but it seems to get there fairly quick, not a quick as the td04 but not far off it.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
Im just on .8 bar the now but when mapped it will be running 1.8 bar and upping the rev limit to whatever the turbo stops making power. not really look at what revs its at when it hits .8 but it seems to get there fairly quick, not a quick as the td04 but not far off it.

what size 05 are ya using 16g /18g ??? ya im hoping to raise the limit of mine too just need the god dam money to map it :mad::mad:

ryan-11

Member +
what size 05 are ya using 16g /18g ??? ya im hoping to raise the limit of mine too just need the god dam money to map it :mad::mad:

im using a 16g, yeah its all money money money :haha: im just waiting on my replacement speedvision cam then i can get it mapped.

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
im using a 16g, yeah its all money money money :haha: im just waiting on my replacement speedvision cam then i can get it mapped.

nice , you hoping for past 300 ??? if my clutch sellsthis week hopefully chris can fit me in for a map , cant wait only tipping around off boost all the time now :(

ryan-11

Member +
nice , you hoping for past 300 ??? if my clutch sellsthis week hopefully chris can fit me in for a map , cant wait only tipping around off boost all the time now :(

300 is the goal but to be honest as long as it drives and feels awesome ill be happy, it will be getting mapped on the road anyways so wont know the power. u hoping for 300? it sucks driving about off boost :haha:

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
300 is the goal but to be honest as long as it drives and feels awesome ill be happy, it will be getting mapped on the road anyways so wont know the power. u hoping for 300? it sucks driving about off boost :haha:

as close as possible ha ha , once i can boost i dont care ha ha , i would nt boost 1.8 though dont think they can handle it :confused:

scot-ish

Member +
I was a run in a forged 4efte td05 last nite, mapped by chris Carson and 1.6 bar wasn't until 5k rpm but from then to redline it's an animal.