td04 hybrid vs td05

stevew_gt

Member +
Right guys im going to be taking the car off the road over crimbo to chase a bit more power! Currently running forged td04 playing it safe on 1.1bar. been looking down the line of a td05 and increase the boost to 1.5bar, but then people keep saying dont do it due to lots of lag!
Has anyone used a td04 hybrid or no someone that has? Would like to no what they are like in comparison with a tdo5 when would i expect to hit full boost? and what sort of bhp would i expect to see produced at the 1.5 mark?
Last thing who/where is the best place that sells td04 hybrids as they dont seem to easy to come by

thanks in advance
steve

AdamB

Member +
Check out Wepr mate, they do the td04 hybrids, I don't think there's any increase in lag, I think it's just the compressor side that is slightly modified. Get on to Sacha and ask him. 1.5 bar on a td04 is pretty much maxed out and will see about 280bhp. Hybrid will probably produce a little more. A td05 at that boost will prob push about 310bhp maybe more.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
dude... either go td05 not hybrid, ricky aka sx turbo whom i speak to alot mentioned he was disapointed with his hybrid td04 power(not sure if map) was the issue...
im going a different way but still staying td04 just to see how much i can push out if that turbo.....

if yu around laindon, lakeside in feruary, i should have most of it done....

whats ya full spec?? as head work makes a good difference..

matt walters

Member +
Sashas hybrid td04 is 1040 dollars delivered.

Just produces slightly more power and is a bit quicker spool than.normal td04.

Im going through the.same.decisions but Im 5e :)

Race tech do.recon td04s all ready rotated etc for £250 ish (that's what ricky quoted me)

As you are forged already I'd use the TD04 to its maximum potential as there will be a brave difference between 1.1bar and 1.4-1.6bar which is much closer to its maximum efficiency range. It'd be a better idea than spending more money just for the sake of it. I am running near 1.1 bar on a full race-tech TD04L ramhorn kit + turbo + 2.5" straight through exhaust, external wastegate and 370cc injectors on a standard rebuilt 4EFTE engine mapped with emu and it is more than 100%. Enjoy what you have and safely turn the boost up a bit more with a decent map.

On a 5EFTE the TD04 would be a breeze. TD05 will totally spoil the whole driving experience for you unless imo you regularly compete on the drag strip or literally drive constantly at high rpm. It would be a pig for a daily driver. The TD04 spools efforlessly on the motorway and pulls all the way past the speedo don't you find?

Joz

stevew_gt

Member +
Been looking/dribbling at them wepr td05 16g this afternoon, i will have to check again but there only £720 ish. not liking the idea of the hybrid td04 coz they dont make as big power increase as i thought.. mine should be out around then aswell jay depending if i have the cage sorted, but yeah will deffo have a look.
Im not a fan of race tech had a horror story just getting my clutch off them, i no someone using 1 of there td05s, so keeping me eyes peeled to see what its like before i think of using them again.
cheers lads

No worries mate :)

Shame to hear you had a bad experience with Race-Tech. Their fabrication skills in general are very good but I guess the same cant be said for off the shelf products and customer service. Happens to everyone when things get too busy... Let us all know how you get on with the upgrade but seriously, give your TD04 the workout it deserves before deciding, bigger and shinier doesnt necessarily mean better!

Joz

GTwayne

Member +
Depends how you use the car and td05 laggy..... bit of a myth, would depend on which one you were using.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
greddy td05 is not too laggy,
your best bet is PM KON from zisco to find out td05s buddy, i beliebe hes running an 18g and think the smaller 16g maybe bareable...

AdamB

Member +
Think Kon is running the 20g Jay, he said its setup for daily drive as well and the lags not that bad. Worth asking him though.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
cheers pal, thought it was a greddy unit hes running, so lags minimum compared to other td05s.....
saying that with my winter plans, im still undecided weather or not to enlarge turbo to a td05 16g.

stevew_gt

Member +
Will deffo have to message a few people then see what there opinions are!!
I dont mind a bit more lag as long as the power gain is good :D
not really heard to much about those vf34 turbos jake, and there not that easy to find apparently.

AdamB

Member +
The VF series turbo's can be quite hard to find. Are you intent on staying with the td series flange?

stevew_gt

Member +
I thought so, i did want to stay with the td flange but i could quite easily get a different on there only a bit of chopping and welding! Why what else do you suggest turbo wise?

ramses974

Member +
yes i have take a look on this td05 ...i am not a fan of the td05 , i have compared it on my Evo with a garret at the same pressure and the garret ball bearing is superior ...perhaps on a 4e or 5e it is different ...