TD04L Upgrade

ryanerak

Member +
Just wondering if there are any other turbo's that fit on the TD04L flange? My turbo is on its way out so would like to get something a bit bigger without changing mani etc if thats poss? Do the IHI VF series fit? or how about TD05's?

Ryan

ryanerak

Member +
Do you know which ones mate? something like that would be ideal as i dont want to be spending 100's on a turbo

what cars can these be found on? any idea on lag & what kind of power they make?

the subaru legacy.

this statement sums it up as quoted by the guru himself kon:

ahh the mighty vf8

ok so, stock id say u should run around 13psi not more.. coz ull be very close to what the stock engine can take..

it has exactly the same flanges as the td04L, only the intake varies.. ull have full boost later than the td04L, but the punch it throws out is something close to insane!

as for the stock actuator im afraid i cant help as ours was done with an external wg setup... most oem actuators cap off at 10psi, so should be somewhere around there... I really loved that turbo, it gives zero lag in gearchange, although it takes a while to spoolup!

cant wait to see the results!
kon

goldenvtr

Member +
vf8 is similar to td04l but worse!

ive got a vf28 but on a 5e, a td05h is a great choice for a forged setup at 300+ the vf28 is similar size to td05h (16g) and is a ball bearing so cost a fair bit more ;)

goldenvtr

Member +
TD04L is about 370 CFM max flow

can anyone find the cfm for the vf8?? im having trouble finding it.

Last edited:

Johnny_C

Lifer
a friend used a vf10,it was around td05 size,and i didnt think that lag was that bad,around the same as the td04.

weakboy2

Member +
vf8,10 and 12 come off subaru legacies like my old one, the 12 is basically a td05, but they are all old designs and not worth using TBH.

Better off looking at sti turbos some of them are cheap because they can only run upto say 320-330 on the subarus so they bin them and get vf34/35 or upgrade to a tdo5 18g or 20g!