The Coil

alfysfrank2

Member +
Hi,

This is a follow on from this thread http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39386

Last weekend I had a look at the car, I did as asked and connected a HT lead with a spark plug into the coil and then cranked the engine, the spark plug didn't spark, so I am now guessing it must be the coil.. but before I look into replacing the coil, could someone let me know if there is a fuse or anything that could be stopping the coil from doing its thing?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: sorry for this, just noticed I am meant to check if the LT leads are actualy supplyin the Coil with current, how would I check this? thanks

Last edited:

Davy D GT

Member +
i think you would use a multimeter to cheak the lt leads bud dnt know what they are ment to be gettin 12 v i'd say not 100% tho.

Last edited:

starlet666

Member +
as above.... coil should see 12 volts.... coil should output upwards of 20 000 volts.... so dont multimeter that lol

turbojim

Lifer
just lie it on the engine the threaded bit but make sure its getting good contact or any where on the body there will be an earth or even join a wire from the threaded bit to the earth on the battery;)

alfysfrank2

Member +
Update, sorry not been on in a while as I not had the time to look at the starlet recently.

Anyway.. I don't seem to be getting a spark from the coil.

Do you reckon I should invest in a multi-meter then? if so where from?

considering its been sat for 2 and a bit years, is there anything else you can think it could be.. even if it had no fuel, it would still spark right?.... is there a specific fuse that might be stopping it from sparking? Any help would be great

Cheers guys

Mike D EP82

Member +
is it immobilised? id do a diagnostic check on it and check for the fault codes (pin out pins T1 an TE1) might be something stupid. check fuses 1st

alfysfrank2

Member +
Cheers,
I am not sure why, but I only see this
-----------------
This is how to perform a Diagnostics test, Provided By Craig_GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_GT

Cheers,

Craig
--------------------------

any ideas?