The TD05

Few quick questions on the types of td05s

How many varients of the td05 16g is there?

reason asking i took off my old 16g which had the 90 degree bend on it to replace it with a new one.

New one turns up off an evo and it way different, the flanges on mani and decat are way bigger, the internal wastegate flap has you no two square parts.

so obv it wouldnt fit on my existing mani and decat so i took the turbo apart and used my old back part of turbo and clipped it on to the new turbo. Mines has the single circler wastegate.

in terms of compressor housing blades they look bigger though it is an 16g as stamped on it.

scot-ish

Member +
sounds like your original one is from a classic scooby.

EDIT-- from scoobynet, this is some1 asking what turbo there impreza has, and how to tell the tdo5 16g.

The technical answer is - by looking at it. All standard fit turbos on early classics had a 90 degree entry TD05-16G, simple as that. It will have a number cast into the bottom left corner of the compressor cover, something like - 14412AA092 49178-06310 TD05H and then a serial number. This is the standard Subaru application of the TD05H with a '16G' size compressor side. The 18G has a larger compressor cover and wheel with no codes cast into it, the 20G has an even larger wheel and cover (the cover is a TD06 one IIRC, although I may be wrong about that).

All TD05-16Gs designed for Subarus are 90 degree entry to start off. Some are still like that, some have had their compressor covers machined to remove the snorkel and convert them to front entry. 18G and 20G variants, which have NEVER been standard on any Subaru, are always front entry turbos.

Last edited:
it is off an evo this bad boy i got but its totally and i mean totally different flanges tho ive sortof made it work now by using the flanges from the scooby one.

think much more lag?

GTnomez

Member +
P5011301.jpg

P5011299.jpg

GTnomez

Member +
Im not sure mate, i had a look around and i have a few mate with evos. They upgraded and i wanted their old turbo but saw it was a different fitment and was also told they spin in the opposite direction. Does it make a difference, i dont know?

The pic i posted is a TD05 from an Evo and you can see it has a different downpipe flange

yeah the one i got had a different flange to what suited my manifold or downpipe,

just needing to wait on a new oil feed as there different aswell and ill soon tell you if it works lol

GTnomez

Member +
It might work but i do hear that each turbo has different exhaust housings i.e P20 etc but i dont know what difference it makes.

Billybob asked the same thing a while back about mating turbos together

had a quick read of it there really just saying it might need a port for the blade to turn though i did turn the blades by hand and it didnt seem to foul anything.