Thicker gasket on stock engine?

Rebuilding a stock engine shortly but wondering if there would be any pro's or con's to fitting a 1.4mm or thicker headgasket while im there? Opinions?

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Main drawback is you will loose a bit of response and make the car a bit laggier

350ep70gr

Member +
You may be able to run a few psi more before you put your pistons in orbit!
Just use the 1,2mm one if it is an oem built.
If you go forge then you can do those tricks depends the setup and the desired boost from a specific turbo.
What you will gain from the thicker gasket (few psi more) you will loose it at lower rpms.
If you plan 1 bar max then even consider puting a 0.6 trd one in there. The difference will be noticible.

Chris

churcherj

Member +
Any pro's to it then?

not as far as i can see, if your rebuilding a stock engine i would use the stock headgasket thickness, you will only need a bigger headgasket if you wana run more boost and create a lower compression ratio (i think) as said it will make it alot less responsive off boost, cant really see any pros unless running big power, but if your rebuilding it to stock spec u obviously wont be aiming for that.

churcherj

Member +
You may be able to run a few psi more before you put your pistons in orbit!
Just use the 1,2mm one if it is an oem built.
If you go forge then you can do those tricks depends the setup and the desired boost from a specific turbo.
What you will gain from the thicker gasket (few psi more) you will loose it at lower rpms.
If you plan 1 bar max then even consider puting a 0.6 trd one in there. The difference will be noticible.

Chris

what chris said :) hes the expert! PM'd btw mate